We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Resident Evil 3 Remake Key Art Leaked on PSN

short notes for those not reading all the forums
AliTheZombie13

Re: Resident Evil 3 Remake Key Art Leaked on PSN

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:44 pm

I mean They're gonna reuse assets that's for sure. Also, the original RE3 was released approximately a year after OG RE2 so Capcom pretty much is coming a full circle with this one. What concerns me is how different the gameplay will be. I mean the gameplay change between RE2 and RE3 wasn't drastic. However, the counter mechanics were definitely something that made re3 feel more fast paced along with the live choices that affects how the game plays out which raises a question; how will Capcom manage the action elements in RE3? RE3 is much more faced paced in comparison to RE2 after all.
Sure, but RE3 was a PS1 game, it makes sense that it was released a year after.
Other main RE titles after RE4 have been released 2-3 or more years apart from each other.

blackcat

Postby blackcat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Sure, but RE3 was a PS1 game, it makes sense that it was released a year after.
Other main RE titles after RE4 have been released 2-3 or more years apart from each other.
The only explanation I could think of for why Capcom would release RE3 remake so soon is that both RE3 remake and RE2 remake were developed simultaneously. Just by playing the RE2 remake one could easily see how much detail Capcom put into the city design. I think Capcom developed most of the Raccoon city by the time they finished RE2 remake, but confined the game in the RPD and a few places outside (Due to obvious reasons). In other words, Capcom probably continued developing RE3 remake after they finished RE2 remake. However, i don't have any source to prove that, but it's the most likely scenario I could think of ATM.

Red-Dragon-Cro

Postby Red-Dragon-Cro » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:32 am

If you've been living under a rock today, Resident Evil 3 Remake's key art got leaked on PSN of all places and will likely get a trailer on The Game Awards.

Yeah, I saw that. In my opinion, they shouldn't do more remakes because I think Capcom is overexploiting the real meaning of Remake, which should be something special and unique. Maybe you'll disagree but it's just my opinion :). Despite that fact, It'll be a great game.

BTW, I really love Jill's new face. She looks like Natalie Portman hahahahaha. There're also two new images of this game that were released in Reddit.
More like failing to deliver on a promise they made to the people who wanted these games in the first place. Not saying that RE2 was bad but it wasn't a remake by the standards of the first one(and no, camera mode has nothing to do with it). It feels closer to a reboot than it does to a remake, which is why some of us insist on not calling it Remake, more like Reimagination. Hard to be hyped for RE3 when it will be the same thing as RE2 but still looking forward to it.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 am

Possible release date March 31st 2020.

https://archive.ph/lZCZq
More like failing to deliver on a promise they made to the people who wanted these games in the first place. Not saying that RE2 was bad but it wasn't a remake by the standards of the first one(and no, camera mode has nothing to do with it). It feels closer to a reboot than it does to a remake, which is why some of us insist on not calling it Remake, more like Reimagination. Hard to be hyped for RE3 when it will be the same thing as RE2 but still looking forward to it.
Reimagining is kind of a dumb buzzword. The basic story is the same. Still, RE2make did retcon Ada's cover story (no mention of John at all) and Tyrant's mission. Still, I think they did an amazing job at giving the same overall story, but different to the point where veterans did not know what to expect, which is exactly what I wanted from it, anyway. I never wanted the same game, because I don't wanna feel like the original is inferior. And it's not. RE2 and RE2make are different enough to warrant a playthrough of both games. My hype for RE3make is only intensifying at this point. I noticed a ton of people retreading RE2make's disappointment pre-release, but seeing how well it did in terms of public opinion, I'd imagine the same will happen for RE3make.

AlphaSky

Postby AlphaSky » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:12 am

It's a sin to not release it on September 28th.

As for my hopes, I hope that the game is not a backtrack-a-thon like RE2, rather, much more of a journey like RE4-6.

I ahope there's actually online coop, but I doubt that.

I also hope they remake Code Veronica, at the very least. I wouldn't mind a remake of RE1 eventually too, but Code Veronica is the one that needs it the most after RE3. The graphics and mandatory tank controls and hardass difficulty are barriers to people enjoying the story and every other aspect of the game.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:52 pm

As for my hopes, I hope that the game is not a backtrack-a-thon like RE2, rather, much more of a journey like RE4-6.
Hard nope from me. The backtracking in RE2make was pretty manageable. I pray they DON'T make it linear, because linearity is a great way to kill replay-ability, especially for a game that's going to be short. RE4 has the luxury of being a long game, but it makes 0 sense to turn a 1hr 30 min game into a linear shoot em up. Plus, it kills survival horror elements. Instead of remembering rooms with enemies and optimizing pathways, you're just going through in a blaze of glory.

Code Veronica would be a great candidate for a REmake, but I'd hardly call it hard. A ton of the bosses are optional.

MrCreamy

Postby MrCreamy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:52 pm

I'm still of the opinion that Code Veronica is the worst addition to the classic line of games. It added nothing positive to the overall story of the franchise up to that point. Establishing a backstory for Umbrella (and making them literal Nazis) diminished the little bit of mystery that still existed. It's arguably the first title to really over-indulge in the relationships between established characters, making every familiar face a sort of demi-god.

Anyways, Nemesis' nose is really cool.

AlphaSky

Postby AlphaSky » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:35 am

Imo, the backtracking in RE2make was just too darn much, especially in the RPD and the sewers. It's a bit ironic that you feel linearity kills replay value, since all the backtracking in the sewers makes me dread playing RE2make again. I'm not saying they should remove ALL backtracking, just reduce it.

I want to see a huge variety of environments. I want streets, cafes, malls, office buildings, parks, maybe a school, so we can see the whole extent of what Raccoon City is.

I don't want 5 hours in a street section (about the size of the RPD) running back and forth, 2 hours in the clock tower running back and forth, 1 hour in the hospital running back and forth, etc. I'd rather something more along the lines of 2 hours in streets, 30 mins in a mall, 30 mins in a school, 30 mins exploring a park, 30 mins in a subway, 30 mins in the hospital, maybe an hour in the clock tower, etc.

Another idea is something a bit more open world, because the whole labyrinth design of Raccoon City in the original game is really stupid. NO way would a city be designed like that, plus Jill could easily climb over cars. The whole "oh, there's a car blocking my view so I can't get past it" is just dumb.

I disagree with the "RE3 is a short game" mentality people have. HowLongToBeat says a blind playthrough of RE3 is 6 and a half hours, which is pretty fair for a standard survival horror, it's only 1 hr 30 min if you speedrun it.

I also disagree with the notion that "no backtracking =/= survival horror". All survival horror requires is survival and horror, and it's very much possible to make a linear survival horror game, as long as you don't make it like RE4 and give incentive to kill everyone. Zombies should NOT drop items.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:06 am

I thought the backtracking in RE2make was good enough and I've logged 140+ hours into it. Making the city a labyrinth makes it interesting. If all Claire had to do was walk down the street to get to the orphanage, that's boring as fuck. Yeah we all joke about how RE makes no sense, but no one called it a bad game because you had to take a detour to get to your destination.

Having a variety of environments would indeed be cool and that's what I'm most excited to see in RE3make. But open world design is inherently dilute and watered down and the majority of open world games suffer from programmatic level design, etc. It becomes less memorable and less thought out.
I disagree with the "RE3 is a short game" mentality people have. HowLongToBeat says a blind playthrough of RE3 is 6 and a half hours, which is pretty fair for a standard survival horror, it's only 1 hr 30 min if you speedrun it.
I'm not a speedrunner by any degree and I'll even take the longest and most drawn out routes in The Hive to extend playtime, but it's still fucking short. To put things into perspective, here is a screenshot of a casual Claire A run I did on Gamecube a while back.
I took my sweet ass time and still beat it within two hours. That's pretty fucking short. Any game I can beat within my 3 hours of freetime before bed is short to me. I didn't even save.
I also disagree with the notion that "no backtracking =/= survival horror". All survival horror requires is survival and horror, and it's very much possible to make a linear survival horror game, as long as you don't make it like RE4 and give incentive to kill everyone. Zombies should NOT drop items.
I never said backtracking was survival horror. But it certainly plays very much into the SURVIVAL aspect of the game. Learning the most efficient routes to get from point A to B while minimizing enemy encounters is a huge part of the original trilogy. Left a couple zombies alive in a hallway? Well, you can either go through that hall, or take the upstairs route with less enemies but it takes longer. They can also use that against you too. Cleared a room full of zombies? Well now that a certain story event has occurred, hunters have populated the area. Hell the entire concept of Crimson Heads fall apart if backtracking is eliminated. As for the sewers in RE2make, what backtracking is there? You can claim all three plugs relatively quickly and book it out of there. The only backtracking (that I actually find cumbersome) is developing the film to get the weapon upgrades and extra ammo for the flamethrower/sparkshot. That's honestly the only out of your way backtracking. Literally everything else is within your path and required by the story. Which is fine, because the weapon upgrades for the film aren't even that noteworthy or worth it. It balances out imo.

AlphaSky

Postby AlphaSky » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 am

I guess I'm just a perfectionist with doing all the side-quests and getting all items.
On top of my head, some backtracking parts:

-Walking to the puzzle piece room, crossing the big room full of those annoying G Adults, having to solve the annoying door puzzle, backtrack through the room and back to the original puzzle room
-Having to backtrack to the liftable platform where you put the piece in to cross
-Having to re-explore the RPD for the extra goodies via the hidden elevator behind the shelf
-Finding the red valve and using it in all spots
-Once you find Sherry/Ada injured in the dump, you have an annoyingly slow forced walking segment where you backtrack

If you're playing blind, it would be logical to do the film and use the valve everywhere you see it.
It also doesn't help that the puzzle pieces take up an item slot so if you lack free space, it's more back and forth to the item box.

It's no wonder people call the sewers a pacing drag.

I love RE2make, even if it doesn't sound like it, I just think it has a lot of flaws. I played the original RE2 (Claire A, Leon B) after RE2make, and all the flaws were made more apparent. The unfaithfulness is pretty much summed up in Claire's "classic" (cough) outfit, which is a huge middle finger to fans of the original and if you're playing the game on console and want Claire's original look, you're screwed (unless you want that blocky PS1 model).

Anyway, I don't want to talk about RE2 since this isn't what this topic is about.

I hope we get RE3 news soon. One of the reasons why I think a more linear structure would be a good idea is because newcomers are probably going to play the series in chronological order, and 3 having a linear structure could help people get into the style of 4 more.

One of my issues with these remake devs is that they seem to want to re-invent the wheel for no reasons. Nemesis doesn't need super long teeth and a nose, his original look is fine. Carlos doesn't need a hair makeover (and neither did Annette need a ponytail). And the fact they're not bothering to use Julia Voth as a model speaks volumes, even tho it's clear she'd be willing to let Capcom use her image, just like how Alyson Court was willing to voice Claire.

I'm so excited and cautious at the same time...

Toxicfume619

Postby Toxicfume619 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:26 am

People seem to shit on nemesis's new face (Not in this thread of course)
But am I the only one who's kinda creeped out just by the look of his teeth?
It worries me that if he gets close enough he could just chomp your damn neck clean off.

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:38 pm

HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

thekillerGRE

Postby thekillerGRE » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Seems like Project Resistance is coming with RE3R as MP mode.

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:00 pm

More scenes and details. She uses her dodge against a zombie at 1:50. I wonder if it produces any iFrames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2TGigdVVMg
Last edited by leotreves on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:19 pm

ImageImageImageImage
HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

Return to “News”