We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Good to see the scene alive

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
someone2three

Postby someone2three » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Hello everyone! It is very comforting to see renewed life into the RE:O revival scene. My name is someone2three (You can call me Nick). I\'ve been following Fulci\'s site for the past few months and, being disappointed with the lack of updates, decided to see if there were any contributions I could make.

I\'ve been working exclusively (out of laziness, mostly) with the PAL version of File #2. Unfortunately, I haven\'t made any progress because I still have a lot to learn. I have my own DNS server set up which redirects the hard-coded URLs to itself. I can get my PS2 to connect to it, but it throws something along the lines of \"Cannot communicate with server.\" This is, I suppose, to be expected since the server doesn\'t actually DO anything.

I am currently reading books on networking and network programming as well as documents on the PS2 hardware specifications to get a better understanding of the PS2 itself as well as its emulators. It is my hope that I can eventually utilize the unimplemented logging functions of the Dev9 plugin (for PCSX2) to learn a little bit more about what is going on when you try to connect.

With that said, I hope that I can make some contribution to the project, though like I said I have a LOT to learn. Fog, if there\'s anything you think someone who\'s gotten this far can do to help, please let me know and I\'ll do the best I can. I noted in another thread you\'re looking for memory dumps of cards with account info on them, as soon as I get home from vacation I\'ll see what I can do about this, but I\'m not sure exactly where my old card is.

Cheers!

camjam

Postby camjam » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:10 am

Its always great to see more people interested in outbreak. This sub RE series is more popular and advanced than capcom lets on...
In the words of Bunifa latifa halifa sharifa jackson...

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:43 am

Welcome to the board, Nick!
It\'s good to have someone around with develooment skills. I am quite sure the logging functions could be of use. I am using wireshark for this task atm.
If you are familar with some C/C++ it would be great to enhance pcsx2 for our purpose. Currently I hacked a simple log function in the interpreter to create kind of a flow chart. Unfortunately the interpreter is wayyyy to sloooow, so this is a field to work on.Maybe a cpu logging in the dynarec or sth. is possible?

Oh and I am looking forward to the mcdumps. Did you ever play online with the PAL version?

someone2three

Postby someone2three » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:36 am

I only played the North American version online, but from what I\'ve read of fulci\'s work it is not too far off from the PAL version.

On another note, while I\'ve been away I\'ve been doing some light reading on Sega SNAP and other games that utilized it. I got to thinking: SNAP was designed with portability in mind, so maybe something useful could be gotten from other emulation projects. One that comes to mind is the PSO private servers for the Dreamcast and Gamecube. They discuss using logs of connections captured before the servers went down to make their server and it sounds an awful lot like what we\'re trying to do here currently. It might be an overly simple thought as I am new to networking and, really, how packets work (I noticed you said you have a solid knowledge of packet analysis. What would be some good resources for me to begin learning about this? It\'s something I find rather interesting.) but maybe if you were to get in touch with the admins over there something useful could become of it. I would do it myself but I wouldn\'t even know what to ask :lol:

Anyways, let me know what you think. Here\'s the url for the PSO project:

http://schtserv.com/info.php

camjam

Postby camjam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:47 am

Is there any possible way we could contact the team behind the PSO hack to give us some info?
In the words of Bunifa latifa halifa sharifa jackson...

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

Dchaps

Postby Dchaps » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:49 am

I know somone who helped with PSO
i didnt realize this would help out
ill do my best to get in contact with him

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 am

Doesn\'t hurt to ask. I read the source code from a pso project years ago and if I remember right it wasn\'t SNAP based. But I may be wrong and everything we know helps to get the puzzle together.

Return to “Introduction”