We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

In Memoriam: Shoutbox

short notes for those not reading all the forums
AliTheZombie13

In Memoriam: Shoutbox

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:03 am

God, it feels like yesterday since I first programmed it. Back when the forums updated to a new version of phpBB, the first Shoutbox stopped working in the transition between 2014 and 2015, and then I volunteered to make a new one. Back then, it felt like the most modern thing I had ever done, I couldn't even fathom something like Discord showing up and throwing it completely under the bus. If I could go back in time and make it more modern and faster to prevent this from happening, I totally would've done it.

But I support the decision to move to Discord, it'll strain less on the server and it's already a modern chat platform by itself. You don't even technically need to make an account to get on Discord, so I don't see why not.

Goodbye, Shoutbox. I will miss you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhphsW33Dxo

Yoko:S

Re: In Memoriam: Shoutbox

Postby Yoko:S » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:40 pm

It is as Winston once said

"Will live on forever in our hearts."

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm

HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:01 pm

You don't even technically need to make an account to get on Discord,
How? I have like 24 different passwords to remember right now for work... Is there a way to just chat without needing yet another password?
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

AliTheZombie13

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:35 pm

You don't even technically need to make an account to get on Discord,
How? I have like 24 different passwords to remember right now for work... Is there a way to just chat without needing yet another password?
Just enter the Discord link without even being logged on, it'll prompt you for a nickname.

nunes

Postby nunes » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 am

Wow. This sucks. It will take some time for me to get used to.

Even if I haven't really been chatting there a whole lot, Obsrv.org sure looks way too bare without it.
HN: Blitzkrieg || ID: ROMMEL

Godot

Postby Godot » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:37 am

Aw, man... I don't have anything against Discord, but having the Shoutbox available at the main page was very neat, and convenient.
I'm really going to miss it, alongside that "Rooms" feature which died some time ago too.
F.
:(

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:58 am

Nothing will ever replace the shoutbox. It's main downside was being super slow. :( If it wasn't causing so many issues, I'd never want to axe it for anything else.

RipRavage

Postby RipRavage » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:04 am

I am threatened by change and I am scared and confused. The world is changing around me and I can't keep up. I'll never forget that wonderful chatbox.

hill73n

Postby hill73n » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 am

I am threatened by change and I am scared and confused. The world is changing around me and I can't keep up. I'll never forget that wonderful chatbox.
If we work together and respect each other we will make it through this and be ultimately in a far happier and more sustainable way of life. Some time to for everyone to chill from their overly busy lifestyles to reflect on what's really important will be VERY uncomfortable for some people. But these are the labour pains of a new era and must simply be endured knowing confidently that the process will run its course for a certain duration. If we struggle against it we will simply prolong it. So take courage and embrace the change no matter how uncomfortable or painful it may be. Rise to the challenge and move forward together even through this period of physical isolation.

We can all still communicate, support and help each other out thanks to the wonderful internet :D.

Cooperation is what this community here is built on!!

RiZzO_420X

Postby RiZzO_420X » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:13 am

There were a lot of ups + downs w/ the shoutbox, but for most part, it will be fondly remembered. xD
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:54 am

If we work together and respect each other we will make it through this and be ultimately in a far happier and more sustainable way of life. Some time to for everyone to chill from their overly busy lifestyles to reflect on what's really important will be VERY uncomfortable for some people. But these are the labour pains of a new era and must simply be endured knowing confidently that the process will run its course for a certain duration. If we struggle against it we will simply prolong it. So take courage and embrace the change no matter how uncomfortable or painful it may be. Rise to the challenge and move forward together even through this period of physical isolation.

We can all still communicate, support and help each other out thanks to the wonderful internet :D.

Cooperation is what this community here is built on!!
We'll be holding on forever and we'll only be making it right. Cause we'll never be wrong together
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

Mourning Time

Postby Mourning Time » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:28 pm

God, it feels like yesterday since I first programmed it. Back when the forums updated to a new version of phpBB, the first Shoutbox stopped working in the transition between 2014 and 2015, and then I volunteered to make a new one. Back then, it felt like the most modern thing I had ever done, I couldn't even fathom something like Discord showing up and throwing it completely under the bus. If I could go back in time and make it more modern and faster to prevent this from happening, I totally would've done it.

But I support the decision to move to Discord, it'll strain less on the server and it's already a modern chat platform by itself. You don't even technically need to make an account to get on Discord, so I don't see why not.

Goodbye, Shoutbox. I will miss you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhphsW33Dxo
I hope you understand the literal years you helped people connect and enjoy this game together with each other. I am forever grateful for you and the rest of the administration here who brought this game back. I loved the chatbox and I love all of you.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:59 am

Shoutbox: The Return.

Coming.

Tegato

Postby Tegato » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:13 am

I really enjoyed the shoutbox, it will be missed!
Console Player:
HN: Blubs
Childhood Playstation 2 (SCPH-50000) and Sony HDD (40G) with OPL
PlayStation 3 4X (2 CECHA01 60G Launch, CECHB01 1 TB, CECHE01 1 TB)

Return to “News”