We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Official Discord Server

short notes for those not reading all the forums
disgea

Re: Official Discord Server

Postby disgea » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:28 pm

If you're able to implement it, then I'll be all for it.
just go to https://kiwiirc.com/embedding
generate the iframe and add to html

AliTheZombie13

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:18 pm

I'm thinking a nice implementation could look like the old shoutbox but simply connect to an IRC server on our side. Users looking to connect from an external client would use their obsrv credentials.

AliTheZombie, what do you think?
I never used IRC, so I don't know how it works.
I did suggest making another Shoutbox back when the old one started to fail, but fog told me he was already making a new one himself, but that never got out of paper.
I was going to use a modern protocol called WebSockets and PHP to make a shoutbox that wasn't dependent on MySQL and was going to make it a hell lot faster, but if IRC can be lighter than that, I'm all for it.

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:25 pm

A lot of people, specially our vast younger audience, wouldn't know how to use IRC, myself included. Would this be a good idea after making everyone move to Discord?

Also, have you guys found a way to implement iframe widgets here yet? Last I tested, phpbb doesn't exactly accept it, so this issue applies to both discord and irc forum implementations...

Alinho's idea of a newer, faster and totally responsive shoutbox looks way more appealing than IRC imo.

However, shouldn't we give it a little time before making rash decisions? Time for people to settle in. Jumping from one chat software to another in such short time would certainly crush credibility.

And then, only then, maybe make a poll to let the majority decide which chat option is better suited for them to communicate with their fellow OBSRV members before deleting yet another place and telling everyone to move somewhere else?
HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 pm

A lot of people, specially our vast younger audience, wouldn't know how to use IRC, myself included. Would this be a good idea after making everyone move to Discord?

Also, have you guys found a way to implement iframe widgets here yet? Last I tested, phpbb doesn't exactly accept it, so this issue applies to both discord and irc forum implementations...

Alinho's idea of a newer, faster and totally responsive shoutbox looks way more appealing than IRC imo.

However, shouldn't we give it a little time before making rash decisions? Time for people to settle in. Jumping from one chat software to another in such short time would certainly crush credibility.

And then, only then, maybe make a poll to let the majority decide which chat option is better suited for them to communicate with their fellow OBSRV members before deleting yet another place and telling everyone to move somewhere else?
IRC it is, thanks Leo!

But to be serious, we'll let Alinho come up with a new shoutbox and then ask people which they'd prefer.

Also, to address your concern, we weren't ever thinking about adopting a solution that requires users to learn a new chat protocol. The idea was to use IRC as a backend, which wouldn't be relevant to the user at all, and would be relevant only for the person implementing the shoutbox. For users, the shoutbox would look and function exactly the same, save for actually working quickly and being more modern. IRC just has the *added* advantage of being a protocol that's been so widely documented and used, that if you *wanted,* you could use our server from anywhere and any device. This conversation is pretty much moot anyway, since Alinho wants to just build something from scratch and use a different kind of backend.

Negracula

Postby Negracula » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:56 pm

I dont want to use that spyware... I mean discord... We need a solution that does not involve that... Playing with NO chat is a big turn off...

Neoplasmic

Postby Neoplasmic » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:45 pm

All these talk about iwrc and i-frames sounds like a different language to me :o , i'm getting old

RiZzO_420X

Postby RiZzO_420X » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:12 pm

All these talk about iwrc and i-frames sounds like a different language to me :o , i'm getting old
You should know what i-framez are lol nah even I'm still technically pretty young. xD
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Anomaladox

Postby Anomaladox » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:58 pm

IRC has been a thing since 1988, I am surprised by the lack of familiarity.
US PlayStation®2 - Fat 50000 /N Series - 120GB HDD - Loader: Open PS2 Loader 1.0.0
US PlayStation®2 - Slim 75000 Series - Loader: Open PS2 Loader 1.1.0
JP PSX - DVR/Console DESR-5700 Series - Loader: Open PS2 Loader 1.2.0

HN: Anomaladox
ID: GLITCH

New to the server?
Frequently Asked Questions
Current OBSRV DNS: 208.72.237.31

ImageClick me?

hobbes_182

Postby hobbes_182 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 am

IRC it is, thanks Leo!

But to be serious, we'll let Alinho come up with a new shoutbox and then ask people which they'd prefer.

Also, to address your concern, we weren't ever thinking about adopting a solution that requires users to learn a new chat protocol. The idea was to use IRC as a backend, which wouldn't be relevant to the user at all, and would be relevant only for the person implementing the shoutbox. For users, the shoutbox would look and function exactly the same, save for actually working quickly and being more modern. IRC just has the *added* advantage of being a protocol that's been so widely documented and used, that if you *wanted,* you could use our server from anywhere and any device. This conversation is pretty much moot anyway, since Alinho wants to just build something from scratch and use a different kind of backend.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudes hell yes on IRC!

Party like it's 1988 :ugeek:

shazbot

Postby shazbot » Tue May 12, 2020 10:59 pm

shoutbox had soul, bring it back bros

AliTheZombie13

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:12 pm

shoutbox had soul, bring it back bros
Soon...

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Sat May 16, 2020 8:59 pm

I knew Jem would eventually win you over with its songs. Season 3 is the best for HIGH drama. Especially Clash's episode when Jem serves her a cold dish of truth at the end.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

AliTheZombie13

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:17 am

I knew Jem would eventually win you over with its songs. Season 3 is the best for HIGH drama. Especially Clash's episode when Jem serves her a cold dish of truth at the end.
My opinion on the show hasn't changed much. For the most part, it's very meh. Season 2 does offer some good episodes, but some the biggest issues are still there. The songs are good though, the Misfits are basically my spirit animal.

Limey

Postby Limey » Mon May 18, 2020 12:10 pm

I was advocating this for so long, it's fantastic to see it implemented officially! Can we get roles based on everybody's preferred main? ^_^
Visit The Yurei Discord, horror fans: https://discord.gg/jkAq6Yk

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm

Pls not the roles fever again.
HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

Return to “News”