We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

The Outbreak servers are open source.

short notes for those not reading all the forums
Isles487

Re: Plans to go open source

Postby Isles487 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:46 pm

You were right it was the config file. I accidentally put in 192.168.1.233 when it was supposed to be 192.168.1.223. Seems to load the scenarios now. I feel so silly I overlooked this. Would you mind if I post my Virtualbox OVA file, if someone wanted to try it fully set up?
If you want to host it on a Drive or something, and link it here, that'd be fine - probably would run into the forum size limit here.

Glad we got it working!

refan988

Postby refan988 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:01 pm

You were right it was the config file. I accidentally put in 192.168.1.233 when it was supposed to be 192.168.1.223. Seems to load the scenarios now. I feel so silly I overlooked this. Would you mind if I post my Virtualbox OVA file, if someone wanted to try it fully set up?
If you want to host it on a Drive or something, and link it here, that'd be fine - probably would run into the forum size limit here.

Glad we got it working!
What's the size limit on here? I might redo it on a more minimal version of debian to save space. Here's the link for anyone who wants to try it out.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Glad we got it working!
What's the size limit on here? I might redo it on a more minimal version of debian to save space. Here's the link for anyone who wants to try it out.
Not quite sure on the size limit. But I took a look at the instructions you posted, and I see that you've put together a script for running the servers, but you're running it as root. You shouldn't run the server as root, it doesn't need admin privileges. Unless of course your script runs the bioserver as a standard user, then you can ignore this.

refan988

Postby refan988 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:00 pm

Glad we got it working!
Not quite sure on the size limit. But I took a look at the instructions you posted, and I see that you've put together a script for running the servers, but you're running it as root. You shouldn't run the server as root, it doesn't need admin privileges. Unless of course your script runs the bioserver as a standard user, then you can ignore this.
I got that fixed. I'm reuploading the VirtualBox ova file again right now, so it's unavailable for a few hours.

hill73n

Postby hill73n » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 pm

I got that fixed. I'm reuploading the VirtualBox ova file again right now, so it's unavailable for a few hours.
Awesome!! Many thanks for sharing this!!
Downloading and will try it out when i get a chance...But like i said before i'm a complete noob to server stuff so will likely be back with my own questions ;)...

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:27 pm

Me and refan got our servers up and running and now we're trying to connect to each other :geek:
Do we need Apache?

HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Me and refan got our servers up and running and now we're trying to connect to each other :geek:
Do we need Apache?

Few different options, to be done by whoever will be the client:

1) Use your own DNS server. This involves changing DNS server entries within the VM. You will need to change your DNS entries in

Code: Select all

/etc/dnsmasq.d/obcomsrv
to point to the IP of the other.

www01.kddi-mmbb.jp definitely needs to be changed, but optionally if you also want to connect to the other's DNAS server you will need to change gate1.jp.dnas.playstation.org.

Then run

sudo systemctl restart dnsmasq
and you should be good to go. Make sure Outbreak's DNS settings are pointed at your own server.

2) Change the above entries on your router's own DNS server if it allows custom entries - that way you don't need to constantly roll your own DNS server. Then point Outbreak DNS to your router IP.

3) Point your Outbreak DNS settings to the IP of the other person and use their DNS server. They will need to forward UDP on port 53 on their router to the IP of the VM. This option is intuitive since the other person is serving Outbreak anyway.

Whichever option you pick, the person serving needs to forward TCP ports for the servers:

443 for DNAS;
8200 and 8300 for the lobby servers;
8590 and 8690 for the game servers.

refan988

Postby refan988 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Do we need Apache?

1) Use your own DNS server. This involves changing DNS server entries within the VM. You will need to change your DNS entries in

/etc/dnsmasq.d/obcomsrv

www01.kddi-mmbb.jp definitely needs to be changed, but optionally if you also want to connect to the other's DNAS server you will need to change gate1.jp.dnas.playstation.org.

Then run

and you should be good to go. Make sure Outbreak's DNS settings are pointed at your own server.

2) Change the above entries on your router's own DNS server if it allows custom entries - that way you don't need to constantly roll your own DNS server. Then point Outbreak DNS to your router IP.

3) Point your Outbreak DNS settings to the IP of the other person and use their DNS server. They will need to forward UDP on port 53 on their router to the IP of the VM. This option is intuitive since the other person is serving Outbreak anyway.

Whichever option you pick, the person serving needs to forward TCP ports for the servers:

443 for DNAS;
Is this what I need to do on my end if I'm hosting the server?

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:37 pm

HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Do we need Apache?

/etc/dnsmasq.d/obcomsrv

Then run

443 for DNAS;

Yes, that's right.

refan988

Postby refan988 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:55 pm

/etc/dnsmasq.d/obcomsrv

Then run

443 for DNAS;

Yes, that's right.
I must have not done something correctly as it won't connect when I use my phone's 4G connection to make sure it's being accessed from a different public IP address.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:15 pm

I must have not done something correctly as it won't connect when I use my phone's 4G connection to make sure it's being accessed from a different public IP address.
What is your DNS setting on Outbreak? If you're connecting from an outside network, you'll need to set that to be your home network's public IP address.

refan988

Postby refan988 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:20 pm

What is your DNS setting on Outbreak? If you're connecting from an outside network, you'll need to set that to be your home network's public IP address.
It was the server's private IP address, but even when I changed it to my public IP address, nslookup on my laptop connected to the 4G network keeps failing.

Edit: Did you mean the game's DNS address setting? Also do I have to change all my IP addresses in the obcomsrv, dnsmaqs config, and both outbreak server configs to my public IP address?

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 pm

It was the server's private IP address, but even when I changed it to my public IP address, nslookup on my laptop connected to the 4G network keeps failing.

Edit: Did you mean the game's DNS address setting? Also do I have to change all my IP addresses in the obcomsrv, dnsmaqs config, and both outbreak server configs to my public IP address?
So if you're going to be hosting clients from outside your server, you're going to change the IP to be your public IP in the following locations:

/etc/dnsmasq.d/obcomsrv config.properties
Any client relying on your DNS server to resolve the names will need to change the DNS IP setting in the Outbreak game to point to your public IP. DNS 2 can be left at 0.0.0.0. Keep in mind that as I pointed out previously, clients don't necessarily need to rely on your DNS and can use other options to provide it (such as their own router's DNS server if applicable).

You'll also need to open the ports as previously mentioned.

In your use case if you're trying to test connecting to your server from outside your home network you are acting as one of the "clients."

refan988

Postby refan988 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:28 pm

So if you're going to be hosting clients from outside your server, you're going to change the IP to be your public IP in the following locations:

/etc/dnsmasq.d/obcomsrv config.properties
Any client relying on your DNS server to resolve the names will need to change the DNS IP setting in the Outbreak game to point to your public IP. DNS 2 can be left at 0.0.0.0. Keep in mind that as I pointed out previously, clients don't necessarily need to rely on your DNS and can use other options to provide it (such as their own router's DNS server if applicable).

You'll also need to open the ports as previously mentioned.

In your use case if you're trying to test connecting to your server from outside your home network you are acting as one of the "clients."
I changed those files, but I'm still not having any luck. It just won't connect to the login page. Is it acceptable to add the server IP to the DMZ of the router to quickly test it without needing to set port forwarding? Is there a way to test from a client network if the public IP address is resolving to ww01.kddi-mmbb.jp?

Return to “News”