We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

The Outbreak servers are open source.

short notes for those not reading all the forums
the_fog

The Outbreak servers are open source.

Postby the_fog » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:57 pm

10/29/22: link to the github: https://gitlab.com/gh0stl1ne

Dear Outbreak community,

when we created the Outbreak private servers back in the days we talked to a lawyer how to handle the project. We didn’t want to take the risk of a lawsuit. Later we didn’t release to hold the community together. Having more servers online would have split the small community.

Now as time passed and Inada-S took the step to publish his version of the KDDI server (zdxsv). The staff of obsrv.org discussed the topic again and we decided to publish a stripped version of our servers, too. That means that community tools for authentication via forum and user management tools are missing but all in all one can run private Outbreak servers on a Raspberry PI or iPod (yes I’ve seen this ...) at home.

Currently, the repositories are reviewed and in a few days up to a few weeks they’ll be public.

This does not mean we’re closing doors! It’s just a step to ensure that Outbreak can live forever.

Thank you for the constant support all these years.

the_fog

Herbivore

Re: Plans to go open source

Postby Herbivore » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:31 am

Here's to still be playing OB in 2066!
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

xDrHellx

Postby xDrHellx » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:14 pm

this is really cool omg

hill73n

Postby hill73n » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am

Awesome! 8)

Was just thinking again today about the possibility of running a private OB server using local PS2 consoles and/or PCs running PCSX2. Didn't think obsrv.org team would release their code, but lo and behold this development :D.
Have read it is relatively simple to turn any old PC into a server, but i've absolutely no knowledge or experience of doing this myself. Would be a great learning project.
Also might open up the possibility of people making custom mods of OB and allowing others to login to their private servers. OB parties :exclaim: Yeah!!
! ! Long live OB online ! !
Anyway, interested to see where this goes...

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:31 am

I don’t want to slow down your enthusiasm but you’ll face a steep learning curve setting the whole infrastructure up.

There’s the games server itself, Webserver, dns server, DNAS server and the ancient ciphers of PS2. You’ll need to recompile OpenSSL and Apache2 or be firm with docker.

Interesting nevertheless...

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Interesting. This opens a door for private servers to be run in different countries. Eager to see the potential results with lower latency.
HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

hill73n

Postby hill73n » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:06 am

I don’t want to slow down your enthusiasm but you’ll face a steep learning curve setting the whole infrastructure up.

There’s the games server itself, Webserver, dns server, DNAS server and the ancient ciphers of PS2. You’ll need to recompile OpenSSL and Apache2 or be firm with docker.

Interesting nevertheless...
Agreed but to use your signature quote "difficult but not impossible" :D

Fothsid

Postby Fothsid » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Now this is interesting.
I'm the guy who probably spent way too much time on figuring out how this game works.

Fallout

Postby Fallout » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:36 am

Good news :-P

I want to know if it can reduce latency in LAN.

dukemagus

Postby dukemagus » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Do the code accompany any documentation or notes? Reverse engineering is a tough task on its own, but even with the code, if any dev step in without guidance, the learning curve will be twice as steep
"HD technology does not make a game interesting. The quality of gameplay makes games interesting." - Keiji Inafune

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Do the code accompany any documentation or notes? Reverse engineering is a tough task on its own, but even with the code, if any dev step in without guidance, the learning curve will be twice as steep
There are lots of comments in the code. The major problem is setting the up the infrastructure while the server is easy to create and start.

adam0509

Postby adam0509 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:19 am

guy, the job you have done is outstanding. I know a little bit of dev, and I can't even understand how you can make all this possible. You're far more talented than all those youtubers outhere earning millions for doing shit.

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:34 am

guy, the job you have done is outstanding. I know a little bit of dev, and I can't even understand how you can make all this possible. You're far more talented than all those youtubers outhere earning millions for doing shit.
Haha, thanks.
Interestingly, 99% of people just want to be entertained and consume that sh*t on yt. If I would present my stuff (howtos, handson tuts or whatever) there I’d have probably only a dozen people following :))

hobbes_182

Postby hobbes_182 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Haha, thanks.
Interestingly, 99% of people just want to be entertained and consume that sh*t on yt. If I would present my stuff (howtos, handson tuts or whatever) there I’d have probably only a dozen people following :))
I'd gladly watch some dev videos 8)

Quick question: Will there be any documentation detailing how to connect phpbb users to the server? ;)

hill73n

Postby hill73n » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 pm

Haha, thanks.
I'd be most happy to watch and learn.

I still would like to get another server up and running, if for no other reason than to learn the process and provide a backup server for when obsrv.org is down or being maintained etc. Have absolutely no illusions about achieving it without some serious assistance from somebody who knows how run a server, nevermind the intricacies of running obsrv.org.

Furthermore it offers the possibility of reducing lag in the future by having a second or even 3rd server.
I'm in AUS so could provide an Australasian server...And then having one in EU region would cover the 3 main regions of users ;).

Anyway, still a pipedream..."difficult but not impossible" ;)

Return to “News”