We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

The Outbreak servers are open source.

short notes for those not reading all the forums
hobbes_182

Re: Plans to go open source

Postby hobbes_182 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:54 pm

Can you help me to become available external Internet? Share raspberry pi image

I followed the pdf instructions on my Pi4(rasbian(deb11)). Locally the DNAS validation is passing. From outside world error -626

Generally understood). We write the external address everywhere except dnsmash.conf. I could not get the server on raspberry to work on deb11. I pulled the disk image and burned it to a physical machine and tweaked the settings a bit. I would be glad if someone shares the image for PI).
Hi. Sorry, but i did not set up that Raspberry Pi image. I just used the one that refan988 set up. I just configured the port forwarding (opening ports) as per my internet provider. I am not skilled in networking. I simply made a tutorial of the process that i needed to follow so others could hopefully get this working for them too.

I have heard that in some countries port 53 does not permit access, but it works no problem in my country.

I have 53 open). The problem is that I tried for a long time to get this to work on PI4. It is small and energy efficient. But unfortunately I had to use an old DELL laptop.
In any case, it was an interesting experience.

If anyone needs a RAW image based on the refan988. Write, I'll put it on the cloud.

Port forwarding was a complete pain in the ass for me, but finally got it to work.

I actually bought a raspberry Pi4 to host my Outbreak Server, but from what I read was that the Pi cannot run VM images. I did put it to work as a Plex server so not all was lost. I did end up buying a dedicated mini PC to run Outbreak.

Had it not been for hill73n's tutorial I would have still been daydreaming on hosting a server. :mrgreen:

Just curious, would that raw image run on a Pi?

ARnine

Postby ARnine » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:34 am

Hi. Sorry, but i did not set up that Raspberry Pi image. I just used the one that refan988 set up. I just configured the port forwarding (opening ports) as per my internet provider. I am not skilled in networking. I simply made a tutorial of the process that i needed to follow so others could hopefully get this working for them too.

I have heard that in some countries port 53 does not permit access, but it works no problem in my country.

I have 53 open). The problem is that I tried for a long time to get this to work on PI4. It is small and energy efficient. But unfortunately I had to use an old DELL laptop.
In any case, it was an interesting experience.

If anyone needs a RAW image based on the refan988. Write, I'll put it on the cloud.

Port forwarding was a complete pain in the ass for me, but finally got it to work.

I actually bought a raspberry Pi4 to host my Outbreak Server, but from what I read was that the Pi cannot run VM images. I did put it to work as a Plex server so not all was lost. I did end up buying a dedicated mini PC to run Outbreak.

Had it not been for hill73n's tutorial I would have still been daydreaming on hosting a server. :mrgreen:

Just curious, would that raw image run on a Pi?

Unfortunately no. But it can be deployed to any x86 PC
For PI, you need to assemble manually according to the instructions, but I did not succeed.((

Firewarrior565

Postby Firewarrior565 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:51 pm

Its been awhile since refan988 posted the ova file version. I'm curious does anyone have a version of it with a newer version of Raspberry Pi OS that can still take OS updates? Unfortunately, the certs are very much expired on the current one and I'd love to not worry about it being a security vulnerability. I tried to replicate it from the instructions and didn't have any luck :(

Cr1nale

Postby Cr1nale » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:05 pm

Quick question I used to have a running server using my service provider by ATT everything was fine and dandy but now I swapped over to comcast and cant seem to join the server locally the odd part is that I can get people to join from outside my network just fine just not internal... does anyone have any advice on that? im running a issue where when im trying to join, the ports time out 443 8690 would it be my clrdev9 config?

under confighosts for login and dnas i have my outward facing ip address
and what happens is that when i go to network game and go through the menus it does not get to the fanmade outbreak splash screen and it says now loading until port 443 then times out this is the log through the pcsx2 debug console

then when i put my local ip address in both the dnas and login within clrdev9 it allows me to join the login but i cannot start a game it then kicks me out to the meeting room but when i see the pcsx2 console it timesout on port tcp 8690

something is super strange but i do have them port forwarded correctly since people from outside network seems to be able to join just not internal can join

edit: apprently comcast supplied hardware does not allow NAT loopback looks like ill need to get a new solution

hill73n

Postby hill73n » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:59 am

Quick question I used to have a running server using my service provider by ATT everything was fine and dandy but now I swapped over to comcast and cant seem to join the server locally the odd part is that I can get people to join from outside my network just fine just not internal... does anyone have any advice on that? im running a issue where when im trying to join, the ports time out 443 8690 would it be my clrdev9 config?

under confighosts for login and dnas i have my outward facing ip address
and what happens is that when i go to network game and go through the menus it does not get to the fanmade outbreak splash screen and it says now loading until port 443 then times out this is the log through the pcsx2 debug console

then when i put my local ip address in both the dnas and login within clrdev9 it allows me to join the login but i cannot start a game it then kicks me out to the meeting room but when i see the pcsx2 console it timesout on port tcp 8690

something is super strange but i do have them port forwarded correctly since people from outside network seems to be able to join just not internal can join

edit: apprently comcast supplied hardware does not allow NAT loopback looks like ill need to get a new solution
If you have joined the Official OBSRV Discord then search in the #troubleshooting for comments by Master of Unlocking 19 and 20 April 2022. I also mentioned the solution that i used.

hobbes_182

Re: The Outbreak servers are open source.

Postby hobbes_182 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:09 pm

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction:

I am looking to edit my "Message of the Day" on my outbreak server. I have been looking at the folder structure and found "MessageOfTheDay.java" in the bioserver folder.

Am I in the correct directory?

Or am I completely off?

dukemagus

Postby dukemagus » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:01 am

Hey everyone!

I am looking to edit my "Message of the Day" on my outbreak server. I have been looking at the folder structure and found "MessageOfTheDay.java" in the bioserver folder.

Or am I completely off?

That is correct. the "message" string has the message and the "byte" variable holds the lenght
"HD technology does not make a game interesting. The quality of gameplay makes games interesting." - Keiji Inafune

hobbes_182

Postby hobbes_182 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:14 pm

Hey everyone!

Or am I completely off?

That is correct. the "message" string has the message and the "byte" variable holds the lenght

Understood, thanks for the reply :)

So what happened was I was looking at the original master folder that was linked to here on the forum. That is where the "Message of the Day" file has a .java extension.

I went into the Server image (which I am running) and in that folder, the "Message of the Day" file has a .class extension.

I tried opening it with a text editor and I got random (readable) characters.

I then tried to open it in the terminal (with sudo nano) and I got random (unreadable) characters.

Has anyone had luck editing the file from the server image?

refan988

Postby refan988 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:53 am

Hey everyone!

Or am I completely off?

So what happened was I was looking at the original master folder that was linked to here on the forum. That is where the "Message of the Day" file has a .java extension.

I went into the Server image (which I am running) and in that folder, the "Message of the Day" file has a .class extension.

I then tried to open it in the terminal (with sudo nano) and I got random (unreadable) characters.

I believe you set the motd inside the database. I don't know what to set the id and active to as it's not showing anything in the server after login. Isles would probably know how to get motd to show up.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:41 am

Hey everyone!

Or am I completely off?

The .class files are compiled files, .java files are source files. So if you need to read into the source code to understand how it works, you need to go back to the source files (available on the github).

Packethandler.java contains the functions for handling packets including sending out the motd. It instantiates a new MessageOfTheDay object defined in MessageOfTheDay.java, and calls on Database.java function getMOTD() to pull the message from the SQL database.

See more here: https://gitlab.com/gh0stl1ne/Bioserver1 ... abase.java

The motd is pulled from the motd table.

The schema for motd is:

id(int) | message(varchar) | active(int)

The query that getMOTD() runs is:

Code: Select all

select message from motd where active=1 order by id desc limit 0,1
What you need to do is add a new value to the table in SQL with active set to 1.

insert into motd values (1,"<BODY>test message</END>",1);
Note that the SQL query called by Database.java will simply return whatever id is highest that is set to active, so id does not need to be 1, any number will do. Active does need to be set to 1, though.

If you want to get an idea of how we set our "message" variable for the MOTD:

<BODY><BR><BODY>OBSRV<BR><BODY>Outbreak Fan-Made Server<LF=2><BODY><C=1>Do NOT disable frame limiter - tab key,<BR><BODY>aka turbo mode - or you will be BANNED</C><LF=2><BODY><C=3>Horror mode is in Secret Area<BR><BODY><C=2>Half-Horror is in Testing Zone<BR><BODY><C=4>Enjoying 9 years of Outbreak!</END>
refan just tried this and was doing the testing as speak and it worked on his end.

hobbes_182

Postby hobbes_182 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:39 am

Mind blown.

Thanks for the info everyone! I was way off on my end with the .class files.

I'll keep messing with it as I am just starting to dive in. Need to get my server out of "vanilla" mode.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:53 am

Mind blown.

Thanks for the info everyone! I was way off on my end with the .class files.

I'll keep messing with it as I am just starting to dive in. Need to get my server out of "vanilla" mode.
No problem! Glad refan was working on testing this out/trying SQL values tonight to confirm it works when a message in the motd table is configured properly.

Firewarrior565

Postby Firewarrior565 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:21 pm

For anyone interested in making an Outbreak server I created a new video showing it all step by step from scratch. AKA copy and paste simulator but the intent was to allow anyone who can follow along to get it running. A docker version is being tinkered with as well but isn't ready yet.

https://youtu.be/xZOxwzFKa2o

hobbes_182

Postby hobbes_182 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:52 am

For anyone interested in making an Outbreak server I created a new video showing it all step by step from scratch. AKA copy and paste simulator but the intent was to allow anyone who can follow along to get it running. A docker version is being tinkered with as well but isn't ready yet.

https://youtu.be/xZOxwzFKa2o
This is awesome!

Excellent work mate! (Playing RE4 Remake 1st run, hehe)

This will be of great help to anyone looking to get their own server going. Great stuff!

DharmaCorp

Postby DharmaCorp » Mon May 01, 2023 1:28 pm

Thank you very much to all of you who have shared information here. I have been wanting to set up a server for a long time so that I can play with friends over the internet without having to use a VPN or anything too complicated, and with Firewarrior565´s tutorial, I have seen that it is very possible and finally I have tried it.

I already have the server configured and when I test it locally, it works perfectly fine. The PCs at home (connected to the LAN) can connect to the server and play without any problem. However, when my friends try to connect from the internet, they get a 6XX error (problems with DNAS), and on the server, I see the following message:

Lobbyserver closes connection to :/198.199.98.246:XXXXX
The port marked as XXXXX always varies, so it is not a fixed number.

Things I have checked:

-In the config.properties file (for bioserv1 and bioserv2), I have put my ISP's IP.
-In the /etc/dnsmasq.d/obcomsrv file I have put my server internal IP (address=/gate1.jp.dnas.playstation.org/192.168.50.167 &
address=/www01.kddi-mmbb.jp/192.168.50.167)
-In the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file I have put my server internal IP: listen-address=192.168.50.167,127.0.0.1 and I deleted the # before the listen address.
-I have checked and my ISP's IP is static, it is always the same.
-I have opened the ports: 443,8200,8300,8590,8690 which is the list of ports I found in a message in this thread.

And I admit that I don't know where else to look. Any ideas or clues that can help me find the problem and solve it?

Return to “News”