We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Proof Project Resistance was planned to be an Outbreak game from the start

short notes for those not reading all the forums
AliTheZombie13

Proof Project Resistance was planned to be an Outbreak game from the start

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:52 am

This guy posted a rumor about a game called "Resident Evil: Outbreakers" about 5 months ago on GameFAQs and got the entire thing right:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/17 ... 2/77570255

I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

thekillerGRE

Re: Proof Project Resistance was planned to be an Outbreak game from the start

Postby thekillerGRE » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Nah. It was and still is 4v1, it was never meant to be Outbreak file 3 or something. It mentions stuff that Project Resistance has.

AliTheZombie13

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Nah. It was and still is 4v1, it was never meant to be Outbreak file 3 or something. It mentions stuff that Project Resistance has.
The game's name was literally Outbreak(ers).

thekillerGRE

Postby thekillerGRE » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:04 pm

The game's name was literally Outbreak(ers).
I don't know, really. It could be just a name, a placeholder ones or whatever. Maybe it was going to be Outbreak but then they decided to postpone the Outbreak game and change the core base to 4v1 for the time instead?

AliTheZombie13

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:06 pm

I don't know, really. It could be just a name, a placeholder ones or whatever. Maybe it was going to be Outbreak but then they decided to postpone the Outbreak game and change the core base to 4v1 for the time instead?
An Outbreak game with a "Mastermind" mechanic? Nah, it's Resistance alright with the name changed.

Neoplasmic

Postby Neoplasmic » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:08 am

lol and nobody believed him.

Ptirle

Postby Ptirle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 am

This Project Resistance should be called breakOut, to troll us and it is fitting for the game. :))

I see it as a Prologue to new Outbreak, maybe Capcom is testing this 4vs1 shit and we will finally see that what they think is good is not actually good, as proven before, when they followed current "trends". Capcom should follow their own hearts... :rolleyes:

T-King-667

Postby T-King-667 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:34 pm

There's Key points you guys are missing from this dudes post. He clarifies that there's single player and a multiplayer mode and then mentions that he will explain more about the multiplayer towards the bottom of the post. The "multiplayer" section begins with the "Asymmetrical multiplayer feature using a "Mastermind" mechanic" Point and continues until the end of the post. Everything from that point till the end is 100% accurate which is what makes everything he says at least credible.

This was said during a recent interview... "Four player co-op brings back memories of Resident Evil Outbreak. Is this a remake of the original game?"

Masachika Kawata: "Some users think of this new game as a remake, but that isn’t true. The survivors being normal citizens is something we imagined from Resident Evil Outbreak. However, the existence of Mastermind is a big difference from Outbreak and we are developing this game in a different way."
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/09 ... ka-kawata/

So according to our boy, this is in no way supposed to be Outbreak at all aside from the characters being civilians. He also clarified something interesting "the existence of the mastermind is a big difference from Outbreak" It's very much possible that Project resistance was supposed to be a game mode in an Outbreak remake/sequel (Similar to Revelation's Raid mode) But they felt that the mode was different enough to sell separately to double dip sales. since it's PVP focused it can be sustained longer through micro transactions and from PVP games having a longer life span in general.

But what about everything above that point in the gamefaqs post? The "Single player" stuff? Everything from the "open concept map" and many areas across raccoon city being playable like Sewers and subways while rescuing other survivors? So far (That I've seen) in project resistance you and other players are force funneled down linear paths with very few options to deviate or split up from one another with the only playable place that we know of being in a Umbrella facility/warehouse of some sort. So this "loading survivors onto a subway, and then finding gas, or turning on power, for the subway" Sounds like the start of the apocalypse where you find and decide to help a group of survivors (May have the option not to?) More than a crazy Umbrella worker managed to setup a subway as a playground and capture a bunch of civilians to use as an objective goal. But so far there is nothing in this game that's open concept or takes place in anything that isn't umbrella centric so what happened to that?

And then you have the code/placeholder name "Outbreakers" it's entirely possible that all this means is "Survivors that are trying to break out of the umbrella lab/experiment" but I doubt Capcom would honestly do that even as an inside placeholder name. I'd also bring up the point where he said " but it seems Capcom is working on something designed to appeal to those that loved Outbreak" But that seems to be his own words and not from the insider that he got the info from.

My conclusion: So one of three things happened/is happening here.

1. Capcom is working on Resident evil Outbreak file3 or a remake. And outsourced a pvp mode that was planned to be included in the game (Similar to revelation's "Raid" mode) to another company. But, they decided cut the pvp mode out and make it into its own profitable game (Probably after seeing the success of Friday the 13th and Dead by daylight?) But are still working on Outbreak in the meantime and plan to unviel it next year or the year after and eventually release it on next gen (releasing them both the same year would cannibalize sales and if OB is being remade it would make sense to release it on next gen to give it the best possible chance for commercial success) This would also explain why both Valerie and January's Bio's directly link to Yoko and Alyssa as a form of Foreshadowing which also lines up with the Easter eggs and references we've been getting since RE7 now that Capcom randomly decided to make OB officially canon.

2. After seeing how popular Asymmetrical games has been getting, they just decided to can the Outbreak remake portion and focus solely on Resistance.

3. There was never an Outbreak planned and this leaker was just BSing it.

But even if they never worked on anything Outbreak related since 2004 and all of this is false then at the very least the disappointment/backlash has put the games on Capcom's radar. Sooo ya never know?

Thank you for reading my Ted talk.
Last edited by T-King-667 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 pm

I think it "could" be outbreak with a Dungeon Master instead of the computer deciding enemy placement. I am totally open for this, but not buying a console for it though.

I still have more faith in capcom making a fun game than Valve for example. Valve's just not my jive.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

T-King-667

Postby T-King-667 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:14 am

I think it "could" be outbreak with a Dungeon Master instead of the computer deciding enemy placement. I am totally open for this, but not buying a console for it though.

I still have more faith in capcom making a fun game than Valve for example. Valve's just not my jive.
If the interview is anything to go by it's 100% in no way supposed to be Outbreak (I edited the interview portion in my post after you posted this)

I think Resistance can 100% be a fun time for what it is (Hell, Friday the 13th was a broken mess from start to finish and even that was fun most of the time) It's just possible that it was supposed to be a mode for a bigger title so I'm just having fun and speculating.

Moomoomilkie

Postby Moomoomilkie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 pm

This guy posted a rumor about a game called "Resident Evil: Outbreakers" about 5 months ago on GameFAQs and got the entire thing right:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/17 ... 2/77570255

I'm not really sure how to feel about this.
It's pretty similar to outbreak anyway isnt it lol

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Not really. The core gameplay is more focused on sticking together in cramped maps fighting enemies and shooting traps.

Outbreak is best played with a divide and conquer mindset spanning large maps. Project REsistance sticks you in one big area rather than a whole level. It has the base of an Outbreak game, with character abilities (which some are unimpressive for a true Outbreak successor), and melee combat but it's less about completely multiple objectives while collecting ammunition for the final fight and more about killing everything and buying more ammo to complete a single goal, all while hovering around your group.

MissCojones

Postby MissCojones » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:59 am

Honestly, who cares about this kind of game when Dead by Daylight has been the top game of this niche for years. Not even Friday the 13th or Last Year came close to dethroning Dead by Daylight. So why do this, instead of making a good Outbreak game? It's baffling.
All weak people exist to be eaten - Wesker, Albert. 1996.

AliTheZombie13

Postby AliTheZombie13 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Honestly, who cares about this kind of game when Dead by Daylight has been the top game of this niche for years. Not even Friday the 13th or Last Year came close to dethroning Dead by Daylight. So why do this, instead of making a good Outbreak game? It's baffling.
Because:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTeLy3Ujxc

SV20H12AX7

Postby SV20H12AX7 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:00 am

My take is if Resistance was at all 'Outbreak' related, it was not to literally take the Outbreak formula/style but elements, put those into a new more current day type game, thinking Outbreak fans hopefully would jump on board and be happy with it.

I've seen Kawata asked about Outbreak a number times, particularly on the RE7 promo tour, always answering with the same 'well, Outbreak took a lot of work & time, etc. for the online aspect, etc., etc. something like that. I'm thinking, well doesn't that also apply to every RE online multiplayer since OB? ORC, Umbrella Corps. and now Resistance. And hasn't all that become so much easier since 2004 with today's tech., etc.

Return to “News”