We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

The Comprehensive Outbreak Server FAQ (Updated 12/18/19)

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
Lumiere

Re: The Comprehensive Outbreak Server FAQ (Updated 1/5/13)

Postby Lumiere » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:57 am

I'm sorry if this sounds really weird to ask, but lets say we don't have a playstation 2 that can play japanese region games, or the japanese copies of the Resident Evil Outbreak files, will there eventually be no need for these requirements? and like be able to play it with the english copies? Just wondering because i'm going to be getting a new ps2 and resident evil outbreak, again sorry if i sound dumb >-<

myabsolution

Postby myabsolution » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:26 am

That would be an entirely new project, and IMO, that's not going to happen. All attempts have ended with some serious roadblocks. Like trying to make a cake without a recipe and no ingredients.
「ID: ADMIN3「Handle: Absolution「Platform: PS2 40GB HDD

SilverKhaos

Postby SilverKhaos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:42 am

Okay so wait.

1) I bought my US copies of File 1 and 2 only a couple years ago, and I play them on my ps3, as my ps2 died off long ago.

2) I'd been dreaming of playing this with my friends.

3) Heard about this, signed up, only to find out it only works with japanese versions on ps2.

4) My only option is emulator, I suppose...but that would be pirating, because I don't think there WAS a PC version.

Which brings me to:

5) So how exactly am I supposed to play this online with my friends? Even if I had a working ps2, where in the heck would I get a japanese copy of the game? And repeat that question for my friends?

Also, since none of us can read japanese, how would we complete puzzles?

Don't get me wrong, EXTREMELY happy that yall have done what ya could, even though it means that the game still can't be played online for the most part, but it's more than Capcom themselves have done, so i'm rooting for ya, and hopin this becomes more accessible!
Last edited by SilverKhaos on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:46 am

Okay so wait.

1) I bought my US copies of File 1 and 2 only a couple years ago, and I play them on my ps3, as my ps2 died off long ago.

3) Heard about this, signed up, only to find out it only works with japanese versions on ps2.

4) My only option is emulator, I suppose...but that would be pirating, because I don't think there WAS a PC version.

Which brings me to:

5) So how exactly am I supposed to play this online with my friends? Even if I had a working ps2, where in the heck would I get a japanese copy of the game? And repeat that question for my friends?

There are ways around the region lock, such as using Swap Magic or Free Mcboot.

There's an English translation patch that you can apply to the game. PM "Silent Hell" for it.
ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

SilverKhaos

Postby SilverKhaos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:47 am

Okay so wait.

Which brings me to:

There are ways around the region lock, such as using Swap Magic or Free Mcboot.

There's an English translation patch that you can apply to the game.
Okay, i'm not sure if that answered any of my questions, but thanks for responding, at least.

Well, can I (and my friends) play from off the ps3? I'm using the original PS3 that uses ps2 hardware, instead of the later ones that are just using emulators. Or should I just try to get an emulator on my PC?

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:51 am

I thought I just answered your question on how you'd play the game in English.

Also, what I was explaining about getting around the region lock was so you do not need to buy a Japanese PS2 as well as Japanese games. Thought it was obvious that the best place to find these games was eBay.

SilverKhaos

Postby SilverKhaos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:55 am

I thought I just answered your question on how you'd play the game in English.

Also, what I was explaining about getting around the region lock was so you do not need to buy a Japanese PS2 as well as Japanese games. Thought it was obvious that the best place to find these games was eBay.
okay so i'm misunderstanding. Did you mean I could use those things to play with my english copy on my english ps2, or that i'd still need to buy japanese version of the game at least? And wouldn't a japanese copy be rare and expensive nowadays?

And so I can't play on my ps3 that has full ps2 hardware? (Because otherwise my friends and I would have to spend way too much money buying new ps2s and copies of the games).

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:01 am

You're going to need a Japanese copy of the game no matter what, any other version will not work. Using those methods I described allows you to play Japanese games on your PS2. You can find copies of the games on eBay for around $20.

People have said they managed to play using a PS2 compatible PS3. Search the forum and you'll find a couple topics on it, I'm sure. The exact method to do it on PS3 is different, I believe.
Last edited by StuntmanSnake on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilverKhaos

Postby SilverKhaos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 am

You're going to need a Japanese copy of the game no matter what, any other version will not work. Using those methods I described allows you to play Japanese games on your PS2. You can find copies of the games on eBay for around $20.

People have said they managed to play using a PS2 compatible PS3. Search the forum and you'll find a couple topics on it, I'm sure.
okay thanks. So emulators on pc aren't worth looking into, then?

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:03 am

You can use an emulator as many here do but they're prone to random freezing at times. It's up to you.

SilverKhaos

Postby SilverKhaos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:07 am

You can use an emulator as many here do but they're prone to random freezing at times. It's up to you.
Is there any way to use an emulator without pirating?

myabsolution

Postby myabsolution » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:40 am

Yes, ripping game disc ISOs onto pc (Burner), and playing off game ISOs with emu as platform. Japanese discs ripped to pc and running them off emu is legit.
「ID: ADMIN3「Handle: Absolution「Platform: PS2 40GB HDD

SilverKhaos

Postby SilverKhaos » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:59 am

Yes, ripping game disc ISOs onto pc (Burner), and playing off game ISOs with emu as platform. Japanese discs ripped to pc and running them off emu is legit.
alrighty, thanks a bunch.

LynchyGod

Postby LynchyGod » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:50 am

I just notice this thread's title has a typo in it, being updated on "1/5/13".
I'm sure it is meant to say 2014...

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm

I just notice this thread's title has a typo in it, being updated on "1/5/13".
I'm sure it is meant to say 2014...
Good catch!

Return to “Introduction”