We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Capcom to announce RE game at gamescon 2019

short notes for those not reading all the forums
Silent Hell

Re: Capcom to announce RE game at gamescon 2019

Postby Silent Hell » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:46 am

If this is what they end up sticking with, I hope at the very least it's fun enough that the servers stay decently populated.

Godot

Postby Godot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:29 am

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/17 ... reddit.com

So according to this guy (who seemed to be spot on months ago) This game was originally going to be called "The Outbreakers" So I guess we weren't completely off the mark in saying that this game looked like Outbreak initially. But now knowing that this is what was originally planned to be the Outbreak continuation just turns my stomach. And the fact that we know now that this game is outsourced to a different company is just salt on top of it all.

But at least they decided against actually keeping that name in place.
God damn.
Everyone in that post shitted on the guy calling him a liar and stuff... all of them are now eating their words with mayonnaise.

But anyway, even if most of the features this guy leaked were actually true and made it to the final product, in no way this game resembles Outbreak, other than some minimal gameplay aspects or references. Capcom knows there's a big fanbase for the OB games, it's just that they prefer to play it safe with games from the main saga (with even bigger fanbases) or, in this case, brand new and unrelated games, to experiment and see if it's a hit or miss.

I already lost faith in Capcom, at least regarding a new Outbreak game. Yeah, they pull out some great games even now and then, it's just... not what we all wish to see. Either way, I'm happy that I can play here in OBSRV. 6 years and counting!

Neoplasmic

Postby Neoplasmic » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:24 am

At this point i don't think Capcom cares too much about the franchise tbh, they just want a quick buck. After letting that hack Paul W. Anderson direct those trainwrecks of so called "Movies" there's no doubt about it.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Those movies happened forever ago. They can still salvage the concept if enough people ask for it now. They know now more than ever an Outbreak styled game is what hardcore fans want, and if they make it around the new gameplay of RE2make even filthy casuals could enjoy it too.

Neoplasmic

Postby Neoplasmic » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Those movies happened forever ago. They can still salvage the concept if enough people ask for it now. They know now more than ever an Outbreak styled game is what hardcore fans want, and if they make it around the new gameplay of RE2make even filthy casuals could enjoy it too.
Yeah, but about the UI i hope they take those horrible life bars at the left side of the screen off, i'd be just fine with the ammo counter and it's not a excuse of being good or bad at the game but to experience it better, i like not knowing what happens with my teammates.

T-King-667

Postby T-King-667 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:31 pm

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/17 ... reddit.com

So according to this guy (who seemed to be spot on months ago) This game was originally going to be called "The Outbreakers" So I guess we weren't completely off the mark in saying that this game looked like Outbreak initially. But now knowing that this is what was originally planned to be the Outbreak continuation just turns my stomach. And the fact that we know now that this game is outsourced to a different company is just salt on top of it all.

But at least they decided against actually keeping that name in place.
God damn.
Everyone in that post shitted on the guy calling him a liar and stuff... all of them are now eating their words with mayonnaise.

But anyway, even if most of the features this guy leaked were actually true and made it to the final product, in no way this game resembles Outbreak, other than some minimal gameplay aspects or references. Capcom knows there's a big fanbase for the OB games, it's just that they prefer to play it safe with games from the main saga (with even bigger fanbases) or, in this case, brand new and unrelated games, to experiment and see if it's a hit or miss.

I already lost faith in Capcom, at least regarding a new Outbreak game. Yeah, they pull out some great games even now and then, it's just... not what we all wish to see. Either way, I'm happy that I can play here in OBSRV. 6 years and counting!
Yeah, I actually kinda felt bad for the leaker but at the same time 9/10 people who leak stuff is usually bs anyway. And a guy who's leaking an "Outbreakers" title that's Asymmetric in style I can see why nobody would even find it believable from the get-go. But there's no need to be a douche bag when it comes to not believing somebody.

It kinda leaves me to wonder why they changed the name to be something non-Outbreak related. I guess it's possible that they actually started working on an Outbreak title recently, especially with everyone up in arms about it (Still not sure where all these OB fans crawled out from) If they ever needed a reason to Remake or continue the OB games the communities reaction to the leaked photos would be it. Though, that's really stretching my Optimism limits.

Either way: This game could be fun in the same way that Friday the 13th was fun. Even to this day Friday the 13th is pretty much a busted mess of a game but it does have fun moments. So I'm optimistic in the wrongest of ways.

jochs

Postby jochs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:45 pm

I feel like there is still some hope at this point (regarding Outbreak). The first part of that post where it details the single player experience is what the rumor regarding Resident Evil 3's development was talking about. Rumors suggested that Resident Evil 3 was being outsourced to another studio, and then later on when Capcom first revealed PR's website it was rumored that the project was originally a feature that was supposed to be included with Resident Evil 3's remake.

I think the information regarding Resident Evil 3 may have been a misunderstanding and was actually talking about this "Outbreakers" project. I think it's safe to say that the details mentioned in the first part of the gamefaqs post regarding the "singleplayer" experience was the main focus of this title, and perhaps they decided to split it up into a separate project for budget concerns. The 2nd half of the post regarding 4v1 gameplay is what gives it merit considering that it is spot-on, especially with it directly quoting "The Mastermind", and that is why I think there's still room for some optimism along with the fact that both Valerie and Jan have direct Outbreak references in their character bios.

T-King-667

Postby T-King-667 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 pm

I feel like there is still some hope at this point (regarding Outbreak). The first part of that post where it details the single player experience is what the rumor regarding Resident Evil 3's development was talking about. Rumors suggested that Resident Evil 3 was being outsourced to another studio, and then later on when Capcom first revealed PR's website it was rumored that the project was originally a feature that was supposed to be included with Resident Evil 3's remake.

I think the information regarding Resident Evil 3 may have been a misunderstanding and was actually talking about this "Outbreakers" project. I think it's safe to say that the details mentioned in the first part of the gamefaqs post regarding the "singleplayer" experience was the main focus of this title, and perhaps they decided to split it up into a separate project for budget concerns. The 2nd half of the post regarding 4v1 gameplay is what gives it merit considering that it is spot-on, especially with it directly quoting "The Mastermind", and that is why I think there's still room for some optimism along with the fact that both Valerie and Jan have direct Outbreak references in their character bios.
That's a fair point. It would also line up with why REOutbreak's domain went back up at around the same time that RE2's did. It's also not uncommon to outsource Multiplayer portions of games to other studios while the main studio works on the co-op/story portion. So it's entirely possible that the "Resistance" portion of the game was going along development much faster which gave them the excuse to cut it out and sell it as its own separate thing and release the main title next year.

Good observation and it seems to line up but, I'll believe it when I see it. Hell they may even announce it later in their stream? Though, that would cannibalize Project resistance then. And hopefully they learned from when they released File 2 within months of RE4 back in 04.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:23 pm

I'm not optimistic that we'll see an Outbreak, or similar title, in the immediate future. They're probably thinking that this project is some type of partial gift to Outbreak fans

Red-Dragon-Cro

Postby Red-Dragon-Cro » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 pm

I'm not optimistic that we'll see an Outbreak, or similar title, in the immediate future. They're probably thinking that this project is some type of partial gift to Outbreak fans
If they are thinking that then they surely are out of touch with what fans really want. If anything this is a slap in the face to all Outbreak fans.

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:35 am

If they are thinking that then they surely are out of touch with what fans really want. If anything this is a slap in the face to all Outbreak fans.
It fits what the Deathmatch players who played cops & robbers played. This is beginning to win me over. If the games master can make the levels complicated & set objectives, it would be fun!

Think randomly generated levels except it's by the players instead of a computer. This could basically be a make your own outbreak so we could change the levels several times.

No more boring Hive where everyone rushes to kill leechman & waits by the dock in pure routine as everyone already knows the enemy placement. zzz

Places like the B4F passage in DD are only terrifying to newbies. Once you know your routine, it's easy as pie. This would reset the difficulty every time.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:40 am

even filthy casuals could enjoy it too.
It makes me s-i-c-k too, but it's better than nothing.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

T-King-667

Postby T-King-667 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:03 am

even filthy casuals could enjoy it too.
It makes me s-i-c-k too, but it's better than nothing.
Nah, honestly there's nothing wrong with enjoying a title like this and I admire your optimism. Honestly, after looking back at the leaked post again, it's sounding more and more like Capcom cut out the story and are choosing to sell it separately at a later time. I mean Outbreak was originally supposed to have about 45 scenarios (According to Alyson Court on the ROE podcast) But Capcom chose to dice it up and make multiple games out of it, probably trying to do the same here. I'm just rambling at this point.

But yeah, no shame. Despite how clunky the combat looks I'll probably enjoy it as well, hopefully there's an open beta at some point.

Ada

Postby Ada » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:38 am

Unfortunately, I agree with this. Given the fact this game features civilians and is multiplayer, Outbreak would be too similar regarding these basic concepts.
They also probably had the nerve to hope to please the Outbreak fanbase with this title, since they are many small similarities and even references to Outbreak in the characters bios.

I was upset at first that Project Resistance is not a new Outbreak, but now I think we dodged a bullet. I would prefer a real Outbreak game to be internally developed by Capcom with a decent budget and a good team (possibly the original team or at least a good part of it?) and that Kawata would not be involved in the project at all. I think it's better to wait some more for Capcom to finally decide to remake an Outbreak game and not something vaguely inspired by the idea, so they hopefully dedicate themselves to making an excellent game, faithful to the originals.

Lanzagranadas

Postby Lanzagranadas » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:52 pm

The only Outbreak we can hope from Capcom are remasters of the already existing ones. This Project Resistance may be fun, or not, may have players, or may be dead in a few weeks, but either way its gameplay doesn't have anything to do with Outbreak.

In this game: some Umbrella psycho who's bored and has an army of infected creatures that -for some reason- he can place where he wants and control at will (yeah, screw the lore), so he decides to lock up some random kidnapped civilians and have fun watching them fight. And if they want to survive, they have to complete the three "Floors" before time runs out. It's basically an hybrid between Operation Raccoon City and The Experiment mode from Umbrella Corps, but they replaced Umbrella Soldiers with civilians to not make it too obvious.

And seriously, there's no "Dying" in this game, if you die you just respawn like in every generic multiplayer game, the only consequence of death is that your team loses some seconds making it harder to escape in time.
HN: Lanzagranadas - ID: CINDAI - PCSX2 r5730 / PS2 Slim SCPH-90001 NTSC U/C
The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase, Outbreak videos, and more stuff

Return to “News”