We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Registrations disabled

short notes for those not reading all the forums
the_fog

Registrations disabled

Postby the_fog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:20 am

As of yesterday I disabled forum registrations for an unknown timespan. This step had to be taken to prevent attention seeking (and already banned) people to create new accounts and keeping on bothering you.

Personally I think that this is not ideal because it literally turns the forum into a closed usergroup. We moderators will discuss this step in the next days.

Mackenzie

Re: Registrations disabled

Postby Mackenzie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:43 am

I am for this decision although I haven't been a victim myself, it's good for us who just got into the servers to be able to avoid the possibility of being the victims of future TKs. Although it is quite unfair for some who recently discovered the private servers that they also had to share this burden.

Speaking of which, is it possible to IP ban some users from creating new accounts? I know this is easier said than done, but being a member of other gaming communities, I think it's not impossible right?
props to alinho for the gif

Anomaladox

Postby Anomaladox » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 am

I am for this decision although I haven't been a victim myself, it's good for us who just got into the servers to be able to avoid the possibility of being the victims of future TKs. Although it is quite unfair for some who recently discovered the private servers that they also had to share this burden.

Speaking of which, is it possible to IP ban some users from creating new accounts? I know this is easier said than done, but being a member of other gaming communities, I think it's not impossible right?
There are multiple ways of evading bans nowadays so we are up a creek without a paddle on this one, the only thing we can do at the moment is what we are doing now. It sucks but you have to do what you have to do.
US PlayStation®2 - Fat 50000 /N Series - 120GB HDD - Loader: Open PS2 Loader 1.0.0
US PlayStation®2 - Slim 75000 Series - Loader: Open PS2 Loader 1.1.0
JP PSX - DVR/Console DESR-5700 Series - Loader: Open PS2 Loader 1.2.0

HN: Anomaladox
ID: GLITCH

New to the server?
Frequently Asked Questions
Current OBSRV DNS: 208.72.237.31

ImageClick me?

Mackenzie

Postby Mackenzie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:23 am

There are multiple ways of evading bans nowadays so we are up a creek without a paddle on this one, the only thing we can do at the moment is what we are doing now. It sucks but you have to do what you have to do.
Ahh, thanks for the input. We appreciate the judgment that is taken for this case, it's really getting out of hand. Like a repetitive and persistent T-virus if I could put it in this community's focus, people keep complaining about things and the problem is that it's becoming more complex. I can't help but read some of the threads there and I can't tell which person is saying the truth anymore and worse is that those problems seem to just come back after some time.
props to alinho for the gif

Jake_Wade

Postby Jake_Wade » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:53 am

I think registrations should be accepted by moderators but i guess that would be too much work?Or new users can post only after 3 days?

Eventhough i hate TK-ers i dont mind if they join my games because they make the game more interesting.However im 100% against hackers who make completing the scenarios impossible for others or collect important key items so others cant finish the game

It's sad these kind of actions must be taken because of few bored guys who have too much time on their hands so they make troubles here...

How to play Resident Evil Outbreak Online using PCSX2 emulator:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1939

alinho

Postby alinho » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:11 pm

I agree with Mackenzie, there must be some sort of confirmation for members, something you know they won't be able to do twice. Like a cell-phone confirmation or something, every website has these in the days of today to prevent new sock accounts.
PS2 FAT HDD Player

AssassinMan23

Postby AssassinMan23 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:24 pm

I hope we don't lose potential newcomers.
Mark main and Bob's Champion of the Multiverse

dukemagus

Postby dukemagus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 pm

I agree with Mackenzie, there must be some sort of confirmation for members, something you know they won't be able to do twice. Like a cell-phone confirmation or something, every website has these in the days of today to prevent new sock accounts.
The problem is that we're dealing with bad PEOPLE, not bots. People is harder to block than bots

Via Tapatalk
"HD technology does not make a game interesting. The quality of gameplay makes games interesting." - Keiji Inafune

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm

So this measure had to be adopted one again. How unfortunate.
Are registrations via request still possible, though?

Sent via Tapatalk
HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

dukemagus

Postby dukemagus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:39 pm

an invite-based system with some periods of free registering COULD work... it isn't optimal, but better than fully open or fully closed.
"HD technology does not make a game interesting. The quality of gameplay makes games interesting." - Keiji Inafune

alinho

Postby alinho » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:37 pm

The problem is that we're dealing with bad PEOPLE, not bots. People is harder to block than bots

Via Tapatalk
It's still a good measure. One way or another, these bad people will have to either buy new cellphones or microchips in order to activate their account.
PS2 FAT HDD Player

GK1294

Postby GK1294 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:07 am

It's still a good measure. One way or another, these bad people will have to either buy new cellphones or microchips in order to activate their account.

I have to say I'm against cellphone confirmation. A lot of people don't like it and it will be worse than any other method implemented so far, because not only it will discourage people from joining (who can blame them when they won't need their cellphone number for anything in the forums), but it might make other users leave if everyone is required to give that sort of information. I think the current decision is the best and only one that can be taken given the current circumstances.

Other possible options to consider are,
Restricting user registration by requiring a referal, someone who's already within the community, to join. Said user would be someone they know and someone who can talk for the new registered one shall a discussion arise. The problem with this one is, at least half of the newcomers to Obsrv.org, I assume, don't know anyone from the inside, so they wouldn't be able to join. It can work as a temporary measure otherwise, but it might require a bit of extra work.
Secretly restricting permissions for a few users without a certain number of days or post counts to avoid the same users producing multiple accounts in a short timespan. So far this seems to produce the most desireable outcome, but it annoys newcomers and may litter the forums with fake posts.
Combining the two mentioned above, allowing users with referals to bypass the user permission requirements to play the game and use most features in the site. Seems by far more useful and less of an inconvenient to most, but still presents issues with newcomers, forcing them to post or wait. Moreover it might take even more resources to implement.

As stated above, none of these options seem to do good enough to me, therefore supporting my first opinion that there's no better way to handle the current situation than what the moderating team has already chosen to do.
HN: GreenKnight
ID: S1DY4F
HN: Peelzman
ID: FVD50A

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:05 am

I remember back when we had a similar problem, I wanted to suggest this but I thought it'd be viewed as too drastic. But I'm fine with this decision. It's a shame for new users, but if it will get certain individuals to cool off, then I'm all for it.

Moonie

Postby Moonie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Hello guys, i am trying to introduce this great work to some of my friends but they cant register new accounts to try out.. May i know is there any alternative way of getting a new account for my friends..

Thank you..

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Cellhone registration is better than none.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

Return to “News”