We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Newly joined and seeking set-up advice PAL

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
wyli3b0y

Newly joined and seeking set-up advice PAL

Postby wyli3b0y » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi there.

Played this game online religiously back in the day, very excited to get back into it.

Now, im pretty savvy when it comes to the computer scene but im a bit stumped on this and a simple point in the right direction will do.

I live in the UK, my region is PAL. I have ordered my phat JAP ps2 from Ebay, along with a jap version of File 2.

Am i right in thinking all i need now is a network adapter? If so, then great, simple enough, but my question is will any network adapter do? Or do i need a JAP specific one?

I also read its best to run this game on HDD, Can i just get any HDD on ebay which is ps2 compatible and make a backup and FTP it over or is it more complicated?

Thank you very much for anyone that helps. Much appreciated.

myabsolution

Re: Newly joined and seeking set-up advice PAL

Postby myabsolution » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi there and welcome.

I think any network adaptor will do fine, I don't think the region matters... I could be wrong, but I don't think its an issue.

PS2 HDD is definitely more complicated, however it is bar none the best way to play this game with the fastest loading, and best performance. Most users use an old IDE HDD, and use Open PS2 Loader/Free Mcboot softmods to play the game. Not the old official HDD method that was used back in the day. Yes we transfer our official disc data from PC (ripped) to HDD.

Hope some of that helps.
「ID: ADMIN3「Handle: Absolution「Platform: PS2 40GB HDD

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi there and welcome.

I think any network adaptor will do fine, I don't think the region matters... I could be wrong, but I don't think its an issue.

PS2 HDD is definitely more complicated, however it is bar none the best way to play this game with the fastest loading, and best performance. Most users use an old IDE HDD, and use Open PS2 Loader/Free Mcboot softmods to play the game. Not the old official HDD method that was used back in the day. Yes we transfer our official disc data from PC (ripped) to HDD.

Hope some of that helps.
Totally agree. PS2 HDD is the best way to go. If you're planning to be around a long time, I highly suggest this method. Fast load times, no freezing, plus you even have the ability to apply mods to your game too. Welcome to the server, btw. 8)
ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

wyli3b0y

Postby wyli3b0y » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:02 am

Hello and thank you both for the replies and welcome.

I have found someone on eBay who sells hdds and a memory card softmod which he says is pre loaded and ready to go plug and play. So hopefully that means when all my kit arrives I'll be ready to go. Is there any further patching required or will it be fine since I will have a jap console?

Thank you.

GK1294

Postby GK1294 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Hello and thank you both for the replies and welcome.

I have found someone on eBay who sells hdds and a memory card softmod which he says is pre loaded and ready to go plug and play. So hopefully that means when all my kit arrives I'll be ready to go. Is there any further patching required or will it be fine since I will have a jap console?

Thank you.
You'll need to set your network configuration to the server's DNS address (refer to the News subforum) when you have everything working. You can also make a backup of your game and patch it to english with Silent Hell's patch, ask around and send him a PM. Welcome to the server :) If everything works fine and your HDD has an ethernet port you'll be playing in no time.
HN: GreenKnight
ID: S1DY4F
HN: Peelzman
ID: FVD50A

wyli3b0y

Postby wyli3b0y » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I should be okay patching the the language I had a look at that earlier in the week so I'll definitely be doing that! Is changing the dns on ps2 the same method as changing it on an Xbox or a smart tv? Just go to settings and add it? Also how far does modding go in this game? Is character model swaps ever been achieved? Adding Wesker etc..? Or is that wishful thinking?

Thanks guys.

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I should be okay patching the the language I had a look at that earlier in the week so I'll definitely be doing that! Is changing the dns on ps2 the same method as changing it on an Xbox or a smart tv? Just go to settings and add it? Also how far does modding go in this game? Is character model swaps ever been achieved? Adding Wesker etc..? Or is that wishful thinking?

Thanks guys.
You can click the link in my signature and see the furthest modding has gotten.

wyli3b0y

Postby wyli3b0y » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:57 am

I had a look, cheers.

Alot of it is to do with ad-lilibs. I dont seem to rememeber having much trouble with the generic ones when I used to play 7 years ago. Does it make a significant improvement?

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:12 pm

I had a look, cheers.

Alot of it is to do with ad-lilibs. I dont seem to rememeber having much trouble with the generic ones when I used to play 7 years ago. Does it make a significant improvement?

The ad-libs are just a personal preference. There's no improvement over using one or the other, it's just about which voice actors you like to hear more.

Also, I guess you missed it, but the last like 10 pages of the thread involve unused models.

wyli3b0y

Postby wyli3b0y » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:33 pm

I did miss it, i'll go have a look now. Thanks.

Unused models, i take it that means you cant edit to create-your-own?

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:21 pm

I did miss it, i'll go have a look now. Thanks.

Unused models, i take it that means you cant edit to create-your-own?
Not at the moment, no. Outbreak uses its own proprietary file format for models so you would have to be able to convert models you wish to import into these formats.

Kai Hiwatarii

Postby Kai Hiwatarii » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:25 am

Welcome to the site ^_^. As an old PAL player, its good to see some more of us join the server. When your equipment arrives, feel free to message myself or anyone here about setup (their like super useful folk)

Although personally ive always just used a slim Japanese ps2 with a japanese copy of the game cause I have no clue how to work all this HDD stuff with the slim ps2s
RE: OUTBREAK LIVE STREAM; http://www.twitch.tv/kai_hiwatarii

Return to “Introduction”