We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Hello! Just a few questions!

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
CrunchyJelly

Hello! Just a few questions!

Postby CrunchyJelly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:32 am

Hey!
I'm an avid Outbreak + RE fan in general, and it's amazing to see servers are live and players are active.

Just a few questions though, I was wondering if you guys have made on progress on a PAL-compatible version to be able to play on. Unfortunately, I'm in Australia, and would only be able to play if I had a Japanese PS2 + an NTSC version of Outbreak.
And are there any recent videos of the Outbreak servers in action? Any gameplay, walkthrough, just anything to give me a heads up as to how the servers operate, how laggy it is, etc.

Thanks! You guys are doing an amazing job, and I'll be keeping an eye out for any more updates

the_fog

Re: Hello! Just a few questions!

Postby the_fog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:34 am

Welcome to the board ;)

There hasn't been any progress with the PAL version because we are lacking of packet captures.

CrunchyJelly

Postby CrunchyJelly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:44 am

There hasn't been any progress with the PAL version because we are lacking of packet captures.
Not too sure what packet captures are, but might I ask what they are? (In layman's terms ;)) Maybe I could help out!

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:02 am

Packet captures are data files containing the network traffic between PS2 and the gameserver when it was still online. It's like the recording of a talk between two persons. Those are needed to mimic the behaviour of the original server and trick PS2 into thinking it is connected to the real gameserver. We had captures of the japanese server communication but unfortunately noone made them while the PAL or NTSC-U servers where online.

CrunchyJelly

Postby CrunchyJelly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:18 am

Packet captures are data files containing the network traffic between PS2 and the gameserver when it was still online. It's like the recording of a talk between two persons. Those are needed to mimic the behaviour of the original server and trick PS2 into thinking it is connected to the real gameserver. We had captures of the japanese server communication but unfortunately noone made them while the PAL or NTSC-U servers where online.
Sweet! So how would I be able to find these packet captures? Are they necessarily difficult to find, and is there anyone else in these forums helping out to find these packets as well? (Sorry for the plethora of questions, I'm really intrigued!)

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:24 am

A lot of people searched for those captures without luck, including me.

CrunchyJelly

Postby CrunchyJelly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:28 am

A lot of people searched for those captures without luck, including me.
So NOTHING at all has been found? That sucks. I'll try and find some of these packets, and post any of my findings (I'll finally have something to do with my holidays ;)) Thanks for these responses! You're too awesome

EDIT: This might be a bit superfluous, but does it help at all that I have an actual copy of the PAL version for Outbreak 1 & 2?

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:42 am

If you want to play online, you are out of luck with your PAL games :(

And don't invest too much time into searching the packets. I have searched a lot of hours via search machines, p2p networks etc. pp. Quite frustrating to find every trail a dead end.

CrunchyJelly

Postby CrunchyJelly » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:13 pm

If you want to play online, you are out of luck with your PAL games :(

And don't invest too much time into searching the packets. I have searched a lot of hours via search machines, p2p networks etc. pp. Quite frustrating to find every trail a dead end.
Although it would still work if I used an emulator + a Jap/NTSC version of Outbreak? (And if I wanted to, use an American/Jap slim PS2?)

I'll be happy to invest a few hours into finding these packets, I REALLY want Outbreak to be compatible to all versions! I'm real excited to see what progress these servers will make.

EDIT: Just found out that while the PAL servers were up, no one logged the packets, and the Jap packets were logged because they were up for longer. It seems like I'd have to contact the actual person who worked on these packets and I'm fairly certain I'd get in a lot of trouble from Capcom if I asked them, so rest assured I won't do that. Things are already looking grim, haha.

adamplayer

Postby adamplayer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:53 pm

u can play on the Biohazard - Outbreak - File 2 (Japan) server on a pal ps2 i did but it loads slow
u need to softmod/MC_BOOT your ps2

Return to “Introduction”