We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Gameplay Rules (Updated 12/8/13)

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
Isles487

Gameplay Rules (Updated 12/8/13)

Postby Isles487 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:40 pm

5/30/14 Update: The gameplay rules moved to the wiki

Effective immediately, players must adhere to the following rules and restrictions:
  • Team killing of any kind is strictly prohibited.
  • Players shall not take any action with the intent to impede the progress of other players. This includes, but is not limited to,
    -Obstructing doors
    -Using health or ammunition with the intent to make it unavailable to the other players
    -Hiding or refusing to utilize key items
    -Failing to come to the aid of other players without a reasonable basis to do so
    -Luring enemies towards other players
    -Triggering environmental hazards with the intent to cause harm to other players (e.g. exploding gasoline canisters near other players)
  • Players shall not use cheats of any kind, except players may do so in the testing area.
Players should report violations of the above rules and regulations to the "complaints" forum. If server administrators find that a user has violated the above rules and regulations, possible actions include temporary or permanent bans from the server and/or forum.

To assuage some users' concerns regarding Very Hard games, I want to clarify that inexperienced players should not join games with a higher difficulty. Experienced players should politely ask newer players to leave the game. New users joining Hard and Very Hard games do so at their own risk. Should players find that an inexperienced player in a higher difficulty game is endangering the other players' welfare, they may ignore that player and continue playing the level.

Nuclear Elixir

Re: Gameplay Rules

Postby Nuclear Elixir » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Team killing of any kind is strictly prohibited.
What if I am zombie?
Image SteamID
HN:
TOMOKO Gabriel
GNKY6S ROCKET!!

TrueLolzor

Postby TrueLolzor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:10 pm

I guess I'm a happy person, as all people I played with were friendly and didn't violated any of this.

Hunk_4TH

Postby Hunk_4TH » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:11 pm

What about cheating to get first or second on the ranks? Though this has already be discussed. Just think it should be on there too.

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:45 pm

What about cheating to get first or second on the ranks? Though this has already be discussed. Just think it should be on there too.
You're right, but this is something special. There will be an area where codes are explicitly allowed (unless they affect the stability of the server). We'll refine the rules then.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:58 pm

What if I am zombie?
Then all bets are off ;)

Dchaps

Postby Dchaps » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:40 pm

"-Failing to come to the aid of other players without a reasonable basis to do so"
I think this could easily turn into some he said she said drama that youll never get to the bottom of

Keith_Fozmire

Postby Keith_Fozmire » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Are you fucking kidding me?

No, seriously is this some kind of a joke?

Let me address three really important thoughts of mine that sprang as soon as I saw this new "complaint" forum.

1) Where do you get the right to tell people how they can or cannot have fun playing the game, I have mentioned this before; there are three types of players: n00bs, really helpful players, and real asshole players. I consider myself on the really helpful person category, because I would never leave a person to die even with a huge chance of the whole game getting fucked, hypothetically the other side of that coin is "I don't give a rat's ass about my teamates, I want to finish the map", and the extreme side of that being "fuck my teamates I am the only one finishing this map alive." Let me reiterate by saying this whole thing is absurd, this is not a problem the admins should be dealing with at all, this should be dealt with by the player getting fucked with, honestly if you were so butthurt about getting killed that is fine and dandy just remember the name of the guy you got owned by and don't play with him or at the least avoid him.

2) This will be abused, and it will even be abused by people who do not even know that they are abusing it, what do I mean by this? Well picture this situation, I am playing on Very Hard and some guy gets downed and he is surrounded by 3 zombies, what if I don't save him? What if he reports me and tells his own version of the story where in "reality" there was only 1 zombie and I just left while he was on the floor at 20% virus gauge, hell what if he died due to a huge misunderstanding? The point is it will get to the point where people will start getting banned for really minor things.

3) What if I get sick and tired of some guy trying to teamkill me or using items? Am I not allowed to have him taste his own medicine? Do I have to sit down and take the "abuse" while thanking him?

tl;dr This is a problem we should deal with using a fly swatter, the solution currently is using a nuclear bomb.

Dchaps

Postby Dchaps » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:28 am

Let me address three really important thoughts of mine that sprang as soon as I saw this new "complaint" forum.

1) Where do you get the right to tell people how they can or cannot have fun playing the game, I have mentioned this before; there are three types of players: n00bs, really helpful players, and real asshole players. I consider myself on the really helpful person category, because I would never leave a person to die even with a huge chance of the whole game getting fucked, hypothetically the other side of that coin is "I don't give a rat's ass about my teamates, I want to finish the map", and the extreme side of that being "fuck my teamates I am the only one finishing this map alive." Let me reiterate by saying this whole thing is absurd, this is not a problem the admins should be dealing with at all, this should be dealt with by the player getting fucked with, honestly if you were so butthurt about getting killed that is fine and dandy just remember the name of the guy you got owned by and don't play with him or at the least avoid him.

2) This will be abused, and it will even be abused by people who do not even know that they are abusing it, what do I mean by this? Well picture this situation, I am playing on Very Hard and some guy gets downed and he is surrounded by 3 zombies, what if I don't save him? What if he reports me and tells his own version of the story where in "reality" there was only 1 zombie and I just left while he was on the floor at 20% virus gauge, hell what if he died due to a huge misunderstanding? The point is it will get to the point where people will start getting banned for really minor things.

3) What if I get sick and tired of some guy trying to teamkill me or using items? Am I not allowed to have him taste his own medicine? Do I have to sit down and take the "abuse" while thanking him?

tl;dr This is a problem we should deal with using a fly swatter, the solution currently is using a nuclear bomb.

Keith kinda nailed it on the head with what i think to but said it in a way i didnt have the ball's to
but yea, you cant help everyone all the time, people will complain regardless, i think its a tad absurd to since i have similar mentality, if some messed with me, write their name down on your hit list, hehehe

Leny

Postby Leny » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:09 am

Effective immediately, players must adhere to the following rules and restrictions:
  • Team killing of any kind is strictly prohibited.
  • Players shall not take any action with the intent to impede the progress of other players. This includes, but is not limited to,
    -Obstructing doors
    -Using health or ammunition with the intent to make it unavailable to the other players
    -Hiding or refusing to utilize key items
    -Failing to come to the aid of other players without a reasonable basis to do so
    -Luring enemies towards other players
    -Triggering environmental hazards with the intent to cause harm to other players (e.g. exploding gasoline canisters near other players)
  • Players shall not use cheats of any kind, except players may do so in the testing area.
Players should report violations of the above rules and regulations to the "complaints" forum. If server administrators find that a user has violated the above rules and regulations, possible actions include temporary or permanent bans from the server and/or forum.
Mmkay..

wardy

Postby wardy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 am

What if I am zombie?
You got my lol :D

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Of course not. We are serious about this and you better watch your tone if you don't want to risk a ban. We are quite tolerant on this forum and constructive criticism is absolutely allowed but this sounds very disrespectful to me.
Where do you get the right to tell people how they can or cannot have fun playing the game
We are driving the server and people complain via PM about others. Looks like it's our duty to deal with this, doesn't it ? People can play the way they like at the appropriate place. When versus mode and friendly fire etc. pp. is available, you can deathmatch, teamkill, cheat, mod or whatever you like. In the area that is meant for this.
this is not a problem the admins should be dealing with at all, this should be dealt with by the player getting fucked with
And we decided to deal with it. We do not want an anarchic server here.
This will be abused, and it will even be abused by people who do not even know that they are abusing it, what do I mean by this? Well picture this situation, I am playing on Very Hard and some guy gets downed and he is surrounded by 3 zombies, what if I don't save him? What if he reports me and tells his own version of the story where in "reality" there was only 1 zombie and I just left while he was on the floor at 20% virus gauge, hell what if he died due to a huge misunderstanding? The point is it will get to the point where people will start getting banned for really minor things.
Exactly to avoid this we opened the subforum. People can discuss their problem and no admin will ban a user for minor reasons. But if many complaints for a certain user drop in people want us to do something!
What if I get sick and tired of some guy trying to teamkill me or using items? Am I not allowed to have him taste his own medicine?
Imho you wouldn't be any better than that guy.

Of course there are different types of players. That's not the point. The problem are people who intentionally and repeatedly destroy others' game experience. Nobody wants to have them here.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:58 pm

No.
1) Where do you get the right to tell people how they can or cannot have fun playing the game
This policy is designed to target those that aim to ruin other players' experiences, in other words, to restrict those that aim to prevent others from having fun. The policy will not curtail anyone's fun. Besides, we're considering hosting an "anything goes" area. Players that wish to team kill can have their fun there.

As for where we "get the right" to implement rules as we see fit, that right would derive from creating, owning, and operating a server.
Let me reiterate by saying this whole thing is absurd, this is not a problem the admins should be dealing with at all, this should be dealt with by the player getting fucked with, honestly if you were so butthurt about getting killed that is fine and dandy just remember the name of the guy you got owned by and don't play with him or at the least avoid him.
And in addition to avoiding other players, there is now another option- lodging a complaint in the "complaints" forum.
This will be abused, and it will even be abused by people who do not even know that they are abusing it, what do I mean by this? Well picture this situation, I am playing on Very Hard and some guy gets downed and he is surrounded by 3 zombies, what if I don't save him? What if he reports me and tells his own version of the story where in "reality" there was only 1 zombie and I just left while he was on the floor at 20% virus gauge, hell what if he died due to a huge misunderstanding? The point is it will get to the point where people will start getting banned for really minor things.
Bans don't occur in a vacuum. Banning is a volitional action that can only take place at the behest of an administrator- either the_fog or I. Obviously, one complaint, or even a few, is not going to lead to a ban. But several persistent complaints from several different users over a sustained period of time would lead to banning.
Here is the beauty of the term "reasonable basis." If another player is team killing, wasting items, or acting in a hostile manner, you are under no obligation to help, because I'd say that's a "reasonable basis" for declining to act, wouldn't you?

In closing, there will be a place for players that wish to team kill or work against the other players, but the administrators will not tolerate that behavior in the "normal" area. If you wish to team kill, waste items, or choose to never help anyone else, you can do so in the designated area.

Finally, show some restraint. There's no reason for you to throw a tantrum here.

Keith_Fozmire

Postby Keith_Fozmire » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:06 am

Finally, show some restraint. There's no reason for you to throw a tantrum here.
I am sorry that I don't support this community turning into a hugbox where someone could get banned over a person's feelings getting hurt.

Also tantrum? I am not allowed to voice my concerns on the complaints forum, how ironic.

And also just so you know, have you wondered why I am the only one with this "radical" opinion about the bad idea of having a heavily moderated server on a game that worked perfectly fine without it back when it launched?
Of course not. We are serious about this and you better watch your tone if you don't want to risk a ban. We are quite tolerant on this forum and constructive criticism is absolutely allowed but this sounds very disrespectful to me.
Let me make this clear, I am not attacking you personally, I am simply disagreeing on your judgement with this whole situation, the fact that you threatened to ban me for that misunderstanding shows you the thin ice one treads when making this argument, why risk your account when it isn't necessarily applied to you? For me it's because I have witnessed time and time again on many games (CS 1.6, CSS, TF2, Sven-Coop, etc.) that heavy moderation only leads to innocent people being banned because of admins power tripping, the wrong admins being brought on, or simple misunderstandings, the difference with those games is that if you get banned because some admin is having a bad day you can join another server, however with this it is not the same case, and I can't imagine the thought of an innocent person getting banned after waiting for this game to be playable online again after all of these years. (Of course I imagine that whatever ban system you have bans by IP, which would mean the banned person is screwed.)

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:53 am

Let me make this clear, I am not attacking you personally
Am I the only one who sees the contradiction?

Anyway, I think we made our point quite clear and if this turns out to be a bad idea / policy there's always the possibility for a change ;)

Return to “Introduction”