We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

Heya!

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
tekknobabblr

Heya!

Postby tekknobabblr » Fri May 15, 2015 2:48 am

Hi everyone! I finally got both games up and running, and I'm excited to play this game with people again! Wanted to do a little introduction so you all know kinda who you're playing with, even if there are seemingly only a handful who play anymore. :)

I love Outbreak, everything from its concept to actual gameplay. There was really no other game like it out there. It's the perfect blend of pure classic survival horror, and awkward, uncertain, team-based gameplay that has you constantly on your toes and not sure who to trust. There were so many mechanics at play, so many things to keep track of, especially for a new player. The difficulty levels were insane, and each one brought new challenges. It's one of the few games that, multiplayer or not, doesn't hold your hand through anything. It throws you into chaos, as a real outbreak would be, and lets you figure out how to survive on your own. It's not the most perfectly executed game, but it does so many things right, or at least has some great ideas, it's hard not to be fascinated by it.

Although I've played a lot of the scenarios countless times with bots, my only actual experiences with the games online was back in about '05 -- Before I had DSL, I had to wait to play games online when I could go to my grandma's house and bring my PS2 and Xbox. Even back then, I was obsessed with Outbreak. I was hyped for it when it was first announced, after watching the first trailers, and then after it came out I longed to play it with real humans (as we all know, the bots are frustrating at best :P). I finally got one chance to play, and I tried both games. At the time, the servers were already pretty bare. I never got into a game in Outbreak 1. The only game I could find in File #2 was a Very Hard on End of the Road. I played as David, and all I remember from it was us getting stuck on some part where none of us could find a key, and I was just running around with David yelling, "I NEED A GUN!" I think we all finally succumbed to the virus.

After that, I didn't get a chance to play again before the servers shut down. Over the years, I have searched the net periodically to see if anyone has tried a revival of some sort. I followed http://residenteviloutbreakserver.blogspot.com/ for a long time, until he stopped updating. There were others who tried and failed. Then, finally, I got wind of this last year, and although I was itching to try it, I was just too busy with life at the time. Now, I've MADE time for it, because these games are back in my head, and I need to play them again.

A few other quick things about me: My favorite game of all time is Resident Evil 2. I like a lot of different games, mostly anything with a good story, good atmosphere, or good survival/ survival horror games like Outbreak. I'm also a game developer myself, currently finishing up a fan project based on the Danganronpa series.

Hope to see you all online!

UnknownFox

Re: Heya!

Postby UnknownFox » Fri May 15, 2015 3:01 am

Hello and welcome :3

AngeloIV

Postby AngeloIV » Fri May 15, 2015 4:44 am

Welcome ^_^ I just got my account activated and everything up and running as well. If you're ever down to play, let me know. I try my best to play hard, but I never judge other players mistakes or my own even. It's serious objective wise, but fun in teamwork for me. If that's the style of gameplay you're looking for a partner, consider me your first haha ^^

Mackenzie

Postby Mackenzie » Fri May 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Welcome, nice to see a classic fan coming on. Resident evil 2 is the best hands down, well for me too anyway. Like even with the latest technology we get these days, nothing comes close to how all the elements were placed together to make re2 a game (now if only we can get romero to work with capcom again; like even the old re2 trailers were soo good even tho people didn't like the live action leon used in the commercial, condolences to him too). I believe outbreak is the perfect successor (if people would agree that it was even rightfully that close to the classics) to what the original series were going to, and to note that it's a spin-off leaves the other competitors (the modern ones) in the dust.
props to alinho for the gif

tekknobabblr

Postby tekknobabblr » Sat May 16, 2015 12:21 am

@UnknownFox Hello! I remember you from the chat last night, hope we can play sometime. :)

@AngeloIV Yeah, sounds good! I'm definitely someone who plays any game seriously to the extent of my skills in the game, but I also want to have fun, of course (it's a game, after all ;) ).

@Mackenzie Oh yeah, never really thought about it, but I would say Outbreak is definitely the logical successor to the original PS games! A shame the series didn't continue that direction. Instead, the lack of sales with the Outbreak games led them to go back to the drawing board and spawn a whole new branch of action RE with all this Ouroboros stuff and a million different viruses that can do everything from grow new limbs to turn someone into a white blob the size of a tanker ship (have these people ever heard of the law of conservation of mass???). Though I'll admit, I've enjoyed and played a lot of every RE, including 6, though that's mostly due to the fact they added splitscreen, and my dad and I play. RE6's controls are really fluid, and you can pull off some satisfying moves. I still play Mercenaries No Mercy on PC every now and then.

I still need to play Revelations 2. The first one was decent, I liked Raid Mode.

Also, speaking of RE2, your comment about Romero and the old trailers reminded me, I wrote an article on the development of RE2 a while back after a huuuugggeee amount of research I did online, digging deep to find every little scrap I could about how they made the old, pre-rendered background REs. It's here, if anyone is interested!

Mackenzie

Postby Mackenzie » Sat May 16, 2015 10:22 am

Amazing blog entry and good read on that re2 post. The only thing I found interesting on the newer games was the introduction of the agent hunt mode. Like right now, I only buy the modern RE Games if i can get imported models of the old characters on said games, sounds crazy and funny but that's how it got to ever since I couldn't get the old school feel on the modern engine.
props to alinho for the gif

tekknobabblr

Postby tekknobabblr » Sat May 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks for reading! And about importing old characters, I get that -- gives me an idea to put Claire in Helena's place in RE6... It could work for the story, too, just say Deborah is a... sister to Claire and Chris we didn't know about! Yeah! XD

Return to “Introduction”