[Console Route] What do I need to buy?

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
AssassinMan23

Re: CHECKLIST: What do I need to buy?

Postby AssassinMan23 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Okay, so after some time StuntmanSnake and I realized that it would be helpful to create a topic on what new players would need to buy to get started playing on the server. This is not a guide! This is only a shopping list. This list is based of the intentions that you are trying to use a non Japanese PS2 to run the HDD OSD exploit. The HDD OSD exploit has much more to offer than buying a standard Japanese PS2. These include vastly improved load times, translation patches, transferring downloaded saves to your memory card via USB, and playing all your games straight from your HDD! I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY! IMPORT THE GAMES AND RIP THE ISO's LEGALLY TO YOUR HDD! These are my recommendations:

A NTSC-U or PAL Phat model PS2 (with all the proper accessories, duh.)
You can buy these pretty cheap on Ebay with prices ranging between 30-70 USD used. Now I know what you're thinking, "Don't I need a Japanese PS2 to run a Japanese game?" Nope, you don't. You can run imports on an American or a PAL PS2 if you softmod it with the exploit stated above. Softmodding an American or PAL PS2 is relatively easy and costs the same if not LESS than buying a Japanese console that can only play Japanese games.

An IDE Hard Drive Disk
This is what you will use to store your ISO's on. It's also what the HDD OSD exploit is installed on. Make sure the one you buy is compatible with the PS2 though! You can get the standard 40GB PS2 HDD used on Amazon or Ebay for a low price. If you plan on housing your entire PS2 library on one, I'd recommend a Maxtor 320GB HDD. I bought mine used for 30 USD.

A PS2 Network Adapter
This attaches to your IDE HDD and is installed in the Phat model's expansion bay. This is required in order to connect your Ethernet cable to the PS2. You can buy these used really cheap on Amazon for 5 USD or Ebay for cheaper than that!

IDE to USB cable w/power source
In order to install your ISO's and the HDD OSD exploit, you'll need to connect your HDD to your computer. This is where the IDE to USB cable comes in handy! Remember that if you buy the IDE to USB cable, you'll still need the power brick for the HDD! Unfortunately, it's hard to find reliable cables these days without spending a little extra.

Biohazard Outbreak File 1 and 2 JAPANESE IMPORTS
Surprisingly cheap for Japanese Imports. I bought mine used off of Ebay for 20 USD each with original cases, game manuals, and FREE shipping! It only took 6 days to reach me too! So no more excuses that they're too expensive to import! Just LOOK at these PRICES!

OPTIONAL:
A Wireless Ethernet Adapter
This helps if your PS2 is not close to a computer or a laptop. You'll be able to connect the ethernet cable to this to play wireless. Unfortunately, these do not come that cheap on Amazon. I bought the NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter for about 40 USD off Amazon. I'd recommend buying these cheaper from Ebay for about 15 USD.
Need some help here: I followed this video step my step -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOd_1DYsIQg

but the computer is not detecting my newly bought MAXTOR HDD. I switched to the original PS2 HDD......Same thing happened. What could be wrong??? This is the cable that I used -

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2 ... ide+to+usb

The power lights on the cables were on, and I could hear spinning sound from the HDD......So the HDD should be a good one. Anyone can help me out with it???
You have to run Winhiip as an administrator. Open up the disk management and see if you can see the hard drive in there. Make sure you take the rubber jumper off the bottom prongs. That will set it to slave mode.
Mark main and Bob's Champion of the Multiverse

Ada_The_Spy

Postby Ada_The_Spy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Okay, so after some time StuntmanSnake and I realized that it would be helpful to create a topic on what new players would need to buy to get started playing on the server. This is not a guide! This is only a shopping list. This list is based of the intentions that you are trying to use a non Japanese PS2 to run the HDD OSD exploit. The HDD OSD exploit has much more to offer than buying a standard Japanese PS2. These include vastly improved load times, translation patches, transferring downloaded saves to your memory card via USB, and playing all your games straight from your HDD! I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY! IMPORT THE GAMES AND RIP THE ISO's LEGALLY TO YOUR HDD! These are my recommendations:

A NTSC-U or PAL Phat model PS2 (with all the proper accessories, duh.)
You can buy these pretty cheap on Ebay with prices ranging between 30-70 USD used. Now I know what you're thinking, "Don't I need a Japanese PS2 to run a Japanese game?" Nope, you don't. You can run imports on an American or a PAL PS2 if you softmod it with the exploit stated above. Softmodding an American or PAL PS2 is relatively easy and costs the same if not LESS than buying a Japanese console that can only play Japanese games.

An IDE Hard Drive Disk
This is what you will use to store your ISO's on. It's also what the HDD OSD exploit is installed on. Make sure the one you buy is compatible with the PS2 though! You can get the standard 40GB PS2 HDD used on Amazon or Ebay for a low price. If you plan on housing your entire PS2 library on one, I'd recommend a Maxtor 320GB HDD. I bought mine used for 30 USD.

A PS2 Network Adapter
This attaches to your IDE HDD and is installed in the Phat model's expansion bay. This is required in order to connect your Ethernet cable to the PS2. You can buy these used really cheap on Amazon for 5 USD or Ebay for cheaper than that!

IDE to USB cable w/power source
In order to install your ISO's and the HDD OSD exploit, you'll need to connect your HDD to your computer. This is where the IDE to USB cable comes in handy! Remember that if you buy the IDE to USB cable, you'll still need the power brick for the HDD! Unfortunately, it's hard to find reliable cables these days without spending a little extra.

Biohazard Outbreak File 1 and 2 JAPANESE IMPORTS
Surprisingly cheap for Japanese Imports. I bought mine used off of Ebay for 20 USD each with original cases, game manuals, and FREE shipping! It only took 6 days to reach me too! So no more excuses that they're too expensive to import! Just LOOK at these PRICES!

OPTIONAL:
A Wireless Ethernet Adapter
This helps if your PS2 is not close to a computer or a laptop. You'll be able to connect the ethernet cable to this to play wireless. Unfortunately, these do not come that cheap on Amazon. I bought the NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter for about 40 USD off Amazon. I'd recommend buying these cheaper from Ebay for about 15 USD.
Need some help here: I followed this video step my step -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOd_1DYsIQg

but the computer is not detecting my newly bought MAXTOR HDD. I switched to the original PS2 HDD......Same thing happened. What could be wrong??? This is the cable that I used -

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2 ... ide+to+usb

The power lights on the cables were on, and I could hear spinning sound from the HDD......So the HDD should be a good one. Anyone can help me out with it???
You have to run Winhiip as an administrator. Open up the disk management and see if you can see the hard drive in there. Make sure you take the rubber jumper off the bottom prongs. That will set it to slave mode.
So you are saying that I can just simply REMOVE the rubber jumper, instead of move it to other pins?
Attachments
20150724_110812.jpg
20150724_110812.jpg (643.64 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
20150724_110214.jpg
20150724_110214.jpg (841.04 KiB) Viewed 4057 times

AssassinMan23

Postby AssassinMan23 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:19 pm

In order to format it and load your games onto it, yes. When you are ready to install it in the PS2, you would put the jumper back in. but you would put it in the Master position which if I am not mistaken is all the way to the left. Use a pair of tweezers if you can't get it out with your fingers. Also be very careful to not bend or break any of the prongs. I did with my first HDD and had to get a new one.

Ada_The_Spy

Postby Ada_The_Spy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:26 pm

In order to format it and load your games onto it, yes. When you are ready to install it in the PS2, you would put the jumper back in. but you would put it in the Master position which if I am not mistaken is all the way to the left. Use a pair of tweezers if you can't get it out with your fingers. Also be very careful to not bend or break any of the prongs. I did with my first HDD and had to get a new one.
So that means later if I want to add games from my PC to it, I'll have to REMOVE the jumper. When I plug it back to the PS2, I put the jumper back. Is that what you mean?

AssassinMan23

Postby AssassinMan23 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:29 pm

So that means later if I want to add games from my PC to it, I'll have to REMOVE the jumper. When I plug it back to the PS2, I put the jumper back. Is that what you mean?
I believe so. You could try it without it and if your PC doesn't detect it then fiddle with the Jumper. Good luck.

Ada_The_Spy

Postby Ada_The_Spy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:44 pm

I believe so. You could try it without it and if your PC doesn't detect it then fiddle with the Jumper. Good luck.
Cool......I'll try that. By the way, I went to get the English patch from here -
http://resouttrans.blogspot.ca/p/transl ... gress.html

But they said "A lengthy update to both the English translation and the Outbreak File 1 & 2 Ultimate Modpack are in the works. They both should be released sometime soon. Please stay tuned!" Do you know when? In case if I patch the games now, and then they release the update, I assume I cannot patch the game again right?

AssassinMan23

Postby AssassinMan23 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Stuntman and Creamy are working on that. I have been asking them when it will be done for weeks now. Who knows when it will be ready. You can patch them now if you want. When the update comes out, you would simply have to download their improved patch and apply it to another pair of clean ISOs.

Leon95

Postby Leon95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:21 pm

I've always patched over the same ISO again and again without problems.

Ada_The_Spy

Postby Ada_The_Spy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:51 pm

I've always patched over the same ISO again and again without problems.
Really? No problems at all?

By the way, where did you get the GIF in your signature? That Claire is from Darkside Chronicles right?

Leon95

Postby Leon95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 pm

Nope. None.

I am on Emu though. In case you're doing console, that may be a different story.

And it's actually from the Mercenaries 3D.

Ada_The_Spy

Postby Ada_The_Spy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Nope. None.

I am on Emu though. In case you're doing console, that may be a different story.

And it's actually from the Mercenaries 3D.
Oh...So it is from Mercenaries 3D. No wonder I don't have any memories of her moves like this even I fully finished Darkside Chronicles.

tjohnson

Postby tjohnson » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:12 pm

For some reason I cant extract the game ISO file any recommendations?

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:30 am

For some reason I cant extract the game ISO file any recommendations?
Care to elaborate on what you are doing?
Co-author of the Outbreak translation pack. Self proclaimed King of Scrubs.
My Youtube Channel

GypsyJack

Postby GypsyJack » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:25 am

Okay,so,I'm a little slow at grasping things,but what it seems like I need to do is

1.) Buy a fat PS2
2.) Buy a HDD to go into said PS2.
3.) Buy a Network Adapter although using wired connection is probably out of the question right now.
4.) Buy a cable to connect my laptop to the HDD?
5.) Buy Japanese copies of the REO games.

Have I literally just repeated the checklist?And is the use of an Ethernet cable mandatory?I'm 16 and still living at home,and my room is upstairs and the router is downstairs. The connection in my room is pretty terrible anyway tho,I get like 40% up there usually so I'm gonna have to bring my PS2 (and laptop?) downstairs it seems.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Ethernet cable is required. If you are using a wireless adapter then you don't need a long ethernet cable. In fact, most wireless adapters come with one. But if you don't have the money for one, you'll need to bring your PS2 downstairs.
Co-author of the Outbreak translation pack. Self proclaimed King of Scrubs.
My Youtube Channel

Return to “Introduction”