[Console Route] What do I need to buy?

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
MartinMilk

Re: CHECKLIST: What do I need to buy?

Postby MartinMilk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:28 am

What i got
Japanese PS2
Biohazard Outbreak File#1 and 2.

Done.
System: PS2 NTSC-J Slim | YouTube: GaymingTube / MartinMilk | PSN: MartinMilk | XBLive:MartinMilk | NNID: MartinMilk

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:58 am

The purpose of the checklist was to provide the most efficient alternative to that. This is also taking into consideration the fact that some people might still own their old PS2's. It just seems strange to purchase a console to play two games whereas you can have a console and HDD that can play any games.
Co-author of the Outbreak translation pack. Self proclaimed King of Scrubs.
My Youtube Channel

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:11 am

The purpose of the checklist was to provide the most efficient alternative to that. This is also taking into consideration the fact that some people might still own their old PS2's. It just seems strange to purchase a console to play two games whereas you can have a console and HDD that can play any games.
Correct. It's also substantially cheaper than importing all the Japanese hardware and whatnot. As I always say, if you're starting from square one with nothing, for ~$60 you can purchase everything necessary to get online via console.
ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

DonaldAlan

Postby DonaldAlan » Thu May 28, 2015 7:06 am

Is this the right cable? About to make a purchase
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (95.31 KiB) Viewed 3909 times
Still trying.. https://donaldsowash.bandcamp.com/ FAT PS2.OPL

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Thu May 28, 2015 3:34 pm

Is this the right cable? About to make a purchase
Yes. Youll need the power source for the hdd too though.
My Youtube Channel

DonaldAlan

Postby DonaldAlan » Fri May 29, 2015 5:19 pm

And if I'm not going to be playing outbreak 1, do I still need it?

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Fri May 29, 2015 5:25 pm

The point of this cable and the power cable is to transfer your game ISOs to your PS2 HDD. Whether you're playing File 1 or 2, it doesn't matter. You'll need to transfer them to your HDD some way or another.
ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

DonaldAlan

Postby DonaldAlan » Fri May 29, 2015 5:31 pm

The point of this cable and the power cable is to transfer your game ISOs to your PS2 HDD. Whether you're playing File 1 or 2, it doesn't matter. You'll need to transfer them to your HDD some way or another.
I'm just gonna go for it. My cart on eBay is only like...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.35 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.84 KiB) Viewed 3868 times

rantor60

Postby rantor60 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:25 am

i rly need to buy one of them :) :)

rantor60

Postby rantor60 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:50 pm

very helpfull got now all of my stuff :) :)

Silver Gray

Postby Silver Gray » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:45 am

Indeed, this is recommendable, thanks for posting. in the near future perhaps I could bought all of this just to be a fair HDD player at last.

AssassinMan23

Postby AssassinMan23 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:36 pm

I just wanted to warn people about a faulty brand of IDE to USB converter cable. Silent initially recommended this brand, however It had fried 2 of my HDDs with its power supply. Also nearly fucked over Stuntmans HDD as well. This is the brand: http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-Driv ... ide+to+usb

I don't blame you Silent. You were just trying to help people save some money. Image
Mark main and Bob's Champion of the Multiverse

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:31 pm

I just wanted to warn people about a faulty brand of IDE to USB converter cable. Silent initially recommended this brand, however It had fried 2 of my HDDs with its power supply. Also nearly fucked over Stuntmans HDD as well. This is the brand: http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-Driv ... ide+to+usb

I don't blame you Silent. You were just trying to help people save some money. Image

Yeah... I took it off the checklist for that reason. Stay away from it. I think I'm gonna buy a new power source so I don't suffer the same fate.
My Youtube Channel

Silver Gray

Postby Silver Gray » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:50 am

Yeah... I took it off the checklist for that reason. Stay away from it. I think I'm gonna buy a new power source so I don't suffer the same fate.
My god thanks for the tips Assasin man, that would be very helpful.

Ada_The_Spy

Postby Ada_The_Spy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Okay, so after some time StuntmanSnake and I realized that it would be helpful to create a topic on what new players would need to buy to get started playing on the server. This is not a guide! This is only a shopping list. This list is based of the intentions that you are trying to use a non Japanese PS2 to run the HDD OSD exploit. The HDD OSD exploit has much more to offer than buying a standard Japanese PS2. These include vastly improved load times, translation patches, transferring downloaded saves to your memory card via USB, and playing all your games straight from your HDD! I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY! IMPORT THE GAMES AND RIP THE ISO's LEGALLY TO YOUR HDD! These are my recommendations:

A NTSC-U or PAL Phat model PS2 (with all the proper accessories, duh.)
You can buy these pretty cheap on Ebay with prices ranging between 30-70 USD used. Now I know what you're thinking, "Don't I need a Japanese PS2 to run a Japanese game?" Nope, you don't. You can run imports on an American or a PAL PS2 if you softmod it with the exploit stated above. Softmodding an American or PAL PS2 is relatively easy and costs the same if not LESS than buying a Japanese console that can only play Japanese games.

An IDE Hard Drive Disk
This is what you will use to store your ISO's on. It's also what the HDD OSD exploit is installed on. Make sure the one you buy is compatible with the PS2 though! You can get the standard 40GB PS2 HDD used on Amazon or Ebay for a low price. If you plan on housing your entire PS2 library on one, I'd recommend a Maxtor 320GB HDD. I bought mine used for 30 USD.

A PS2 Network Adapter
This attaches to your IDE HDD and is installed in the Phat model's expansion bay. This is required in order to connect your Ethernet cable to the PS2. You can buy these used really cheap on Amazon for 5 USD or Ebay for cheaper than that!

IDE to USB cable w/power source
In order to install your ISO's and the HDD OSD exploit, you'll need to connect your HDD to your computer. This is where the IDE to USB cable comes in handy! Remember that if you buy the IDE to USB cable, you'll still need the power brick for the HDD! Unfortunately, it's hard to find reliable cables these days without spending a little extra.

Biohazard Outbreak File 1 and 2 JAPANESE IMPORTS
Surprisingly cheap for Japanese Imports. I bought mine used off of Ebay for 20 USD each with original cases, game manuals, and FREE shipping! It only took 6 days to reach me too! So no more excuses that they're too expensive to import! Just LOOK at these PRICES!

OPTIONAL:
A Wireless Ethernet Adapter
This helps if your PS2 is not close to a computer or a laptop. You'll be able to connect the ethernet cable to this to play wireless. Unfortunately, these do not come that cheap on Amazon. I bought the NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter for about 40 USD off Amazon. I'd recommend buying these cheaper from Ebay for about 15 USD.
Need some help here: I followed this video step my step -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOd_1DYsIQg

but the computer is not detecting my newly bought MAXTOR HDD. I switched to the original PS2 HDD......Same thing happened. What could be wrong??? This is the cable that I used -

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2 ... ide+to+usb

The power lights on the cables were on, and I could hear spinning sound from the HDD......So the HDD should be a good one. Anyone can help me out with it???

Return to “Introduction”