[Console Route] What do I need to buy?

The place for new forum members to introduce themselves.
Silent Hell

[Console Route] What do I need to buy?

Postby Silent Hell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:31 am

Okay, so after some time StuntmanSnake and I realized that it would be helpful to create a topic on what new players would need to buy to get started playing on the server. This is not a guide! This is only a shopping list. This list is based of the intentions that you are trying to use a non Japanese PS2 to run the HDD OSD exploit. The HDD OSD exploit has much more to offer than buying a standard Japanese PS2. These include vastly improved load times, translation patches, transferring downloaded saves to your memory card via USB, and playing all your games straight from your HDD! I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY! IMPORT THE GAMES AND RIP THE ISO's LEGALLY TO YOUR HDD! These are my recommendations:

A NTSC-U or PAL Phat model PS2 (with all the proper accessories, duh.)
You can buy these pretty cheap on Ebay with prices ranging between 30-70 USD used. Now I know what you're thinking, "Don't I need a Japanese PS2 to run a Japanese game?" Nope, you don't. You can run imports on an American or a PAL PS2 if you softmod it with the exploit stated above. Softmodding an American or PAL PS2 is relatively easy and costs the same if not LESS than buying a Japanese console that can only play Japanese games.

An IDE Hard Drive Disk
This is what you will use to store your ISO's on. It's also what the HDD OSD exploit is installed on. Make sure the one you buy is compatible with the PS2 though! You can get the standard 40GB PS2 HDD used on Amazon or Ebay for a low price. If you plan on housing your entire PS2 library on one, I'd recommend a Maxtor 320GB HDD. I bought mine used for 30 USD.

A PS2 Network Adapter
This attaches to your IDE HDD and is installed in the Phat model's expansion bay. This is required in order to connect your Ethernet cable to the PS2. You can buy these used really cheap on Amazon for 5 USD or Ebay for cheaper than that!

IDE to USB cable w/power source
In order to install your ISO's and the HDD OSD exploit, you'll need to connect your HDD to your computer. This is where the IDE to USB cable comes in handy! Remember that if you buy the IDE to USB cable, you'll still need the power brick for the HDD! Unfortunately, it's hard to find reliable cables these days without spending a little extra.

Biohazard Outbreak File 1 and 2 JAPANESE IMPORTS
Surprisingly cheap for Japanese Imports. I bought mine used off of Ebay for 20 USD each with original cases, game manuals, and FREE shipping! It only took 6 days to reach me too! So no more excuses that they're too expensive to import! Just LOOK at these PRICES!

OPTIONAL:
A Wireless Ethernet Adapter
This helps if your PS2 is not close to a computer or a laptop. You'll be able to connect the ethernet cable to this to play wireless. Unfortunately, these do not come that cheap on Amazon. I bought the NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter for about 40 USD off Amazon. I'd recommend buying these cheaper from Ebay for about 15 USD.
Co-author of the Outbreak translation pack. Self proclaimed King of Scrubs.
My Youtube Channel

StuntmanSnake

Re: CHECKLIST: What do I need to buy?

Postby StuntmanSnake » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:57 pm

Nice list, Silent. This should help those looking to become part of the PS2 master race. For under $100, you'll be able to play with fast load times, no freezing, and the ability to use mods. I highly suggest going the console route if you plan to be playing for a long time and have the money to spend. ;)

Another optional purchase you can make are preinstalled FreeMcboot memory cards which you can find people selling on eBay. While it costs a little more, it will help those who are less technical savvy to get started easier.

Also, here's an HDD compatibility chart where you can find which HDDs are PS2 friendly: http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

EDIT: One more optional purchase I would like to add are component cables. If you're worried about the graphical downgrade by making the switch from emulator to PS2, these will help. While they do not make the game look as good as it does on emulator, they are a big difference to the standard PS2 composite cables. The best part, you can get them for less than $5.
Last edited by StuntmanSnake on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

FAT NTSC-U/C SCPH-30001 R PS2 w/ 40 GB HDD & OPL

OUTBREAK FILE 1 & 2 ULTIMATE MODPACK
v1.04 RELEASED 08/01/15

http://twitch.tv/stuntmansnake
http://youtube.com/stuntmansnake[/align]

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:35 am

Made this a global topic.

Phoenix7786

Postby Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 am

So just to ask a quick question, I DO NOT need to mod my PS2 into a flip-top and get swap magic? I have an old original PS2 and actually already have the network adapter from years ago. So I just need to get an older hard-drive that is compatible with my PS2 and the way to connect it to my PC?
Likes to play Kevin or David. Can also play Yoko in a pinch. Would be willing to try others for the sake of the team's success.

TheMixedHerb

Postby TheMixedHerb » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:29 am

From personal experience swap magic doesn't even work as the disc stops spinning whenever you hit the network menu. Not sure if it's just me or a common problem though.

GK1294

Postby GK1294 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:45 am

I'd recommend you use Swap Magic only to soft mod your console so you can run backups from your HDD, then you put Outbreak in there and have fun. Using Discs in general isn't so good of an alternative because they tend to wear out, even the Swap Magic itself.
HN: GreenKnight
ID: S1DY4F
HN: Peelzman
ID: FVD50A

Phoenix7786

Postby Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:57 am

Ok I'm just trying to figure out what I really need. "new" PS2's out here are easily $40 and higher while flip-top kits are over $20. I don't want to make a flip-top out of my original PS2 if I can still do the HDD exploit without it. From that tutorial video it looks like he goes directly into the external hard-drive through the browser menu without ever mentioning swap-magic or flip-topping his PS2.
Likes to play Kevin or David. Can also play Yoko in a pinch. Would be willing to try others for the sake of the team's success.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:05 pm

Ok I'm just trying to figure out what I really need. "new" PS2's out here are easily $40 and higher while flip-top kits are over $20. I don't want to make a flip-top out of my original PS2 if I can still do the HDD exploit without it. From that tutorial video it looks like he goes directly into the external hard-drive through the browser menu without ever mentioning swap-magic or flip-topping his PS2.
As long as you have a phat PS2 and have a way to connect an HDD to your PC, you don't need Swap Magic and don't need to modify any hardware. The only things you need are what's on the list.
My Youtube Channel

GK1294

Postby GK1294 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:40 pm

As long as you have a phat PS2 and have a way to connect an HDD to your PC, you don't need Swap Magic and don't need to modify any hardware. The only things you need are what's on the list.
You're right, Silent. My apologies. I prefer the mcboot method regardless of having the HDD, but with the HDD and the video you linked on the first post you have more than enough to run Outbreak and play online. Moreover, you can run applications from the HDD such as uLaunch.elf to transfer saves from emulator to console and also install FreemcBoot for other consoles that can't support HDD such as the slim.
HN: GreenKnight
ID: S1DY4F
HN: Peelzman
ID: FVD50A

Phoenix7786

Postby Phoenix7786 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Oh wonderful thanks so much guys! Looks like I only need to spend ~$30 then to get what I need, since just the hard-drive and the cables are all I need then. This is fantastic news! :D

ChrisRedfeld97

Postby ChrisRedfeld97 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:42 am

ok say i had a Japanese slim ps2 where would i go from there?

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:44 am

ok say i had a Japanese slim ps2 where would i go from there?
Buy the games and play?
My Youtube Channel

ChrisRedfeld97

Postby ChrisRedfeld97 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:36 am

Really im all set just plug and play no patching or any of that stuff?

MartinMilk

Postby MartinMilk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:58 pm

But, it is possible to just get a Japanese PS2 slim and the japanese games and just play the game the old way? I guess the loading times will be longer than running them on ISO but i do not really mind that.
System: PS2 NTSC-J Slim | YouTube: GaymingTube / MartinMilk | PSN: MartinMilk | XBLive:MartinMilk | NNID: MartinMilk

MartinMilk

Postby MartinMilk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:59 pm

Really im all set just plug and play no patching or any of that stuff?
Yea, pretty much. You only have to change to this servers IP and then you should be good to go.
System: PS2 NTSC-J Slim | YouTube: GaymingTube / MartinMilk | PSN: MartinMilk | XBLive:MartinMilk | NNID: MartinMilk

Return to “Introduction”