We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

(SPOILERS AHEAD) Resident Evil 2 Remake Megathread

short notes for those not reading all the forums
Silent Hell

(SPOILERS AHEAD) Resident Evil 2 Remake Megathread

Postby Silent Hell » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:54 am

Since the Resident Evil 2 remake's reveal during E3, it'd probably be fitting to create a single thread to discuss the game, your hopes, your dreams, stupid theories, and complaints about faces.

Here are a couple links to get started:
Official Website
Youtube Page
Twitter
Facebook
Capcom Dev 1 Twitter Account

Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8_ovw0QaUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahu9VmQ6RcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyGk4KTJu5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSb91YO2bw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COzkAoZeapo

Deluxe Edition costumes revealed:

RiZzO_420X

Re: Resident Evil 2 Remake Megathread

Postby RiZzO_420X » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:15 am

No real thoughts yet. Just disappointed they could've brought back the old style, but didn't. Could've done w/o the RE7 stuff. Much less hyped now. :|
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

RodRiku

Postby RodRiku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 am

I'm totally hyped for the game, but I only have 1 concern and that is the fixed camera angles. CAPCOM should at least used the camera angles on RE 0 and RE 1 Remake. All in all I like the game itself, the atmosphere, new item locations, new map (especially the bathroom) and new items (especially Jill and Chris' Samurai Edge). :))

=Newbie here=

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:15 am

[...] and complaints about faces.

HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

RipRavage

Postby RipRavage » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:47 pm

This game immediately became trash in my eyes when they announced RE4 style gameplay. I am not a fan of that style at all.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:56 am

I'm open to it. I'm well aware they're going for the OTS style to appeal to a wider market, but as long as the end result is great, I'm happy. And I like what I've seen so far.

Isles487

Postby Isles487 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:00 am

This game immediately became trash in my eyes when they announced RE4 style gameplay. I am not a fan of that style at all.
Me too. I'm willing to give this a chance because I think the E3 presentation looked great, and I want to see what they can do with the perspective.

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:19 am

That's why I hate videogames. The field of vision is way too limited. My peripheral vision isn't athlete level but I can perceive things MUCH wider than what games give you. It's too annoying.

Edit: I have no illusions the game will sell fine without me. lol Just sharing a frustration.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

RipRavage

Postby RipRavage » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:50 am

I just really hate the fact that they are taking a game that played in the classic style and remaking it in the fashion of the later series instead of trying to keep the gameplay true to the original presentation. A good example of why this is always a bad idea is the TWIN SNAKES remake of Metal Gear Solid, it added first person Metal Gear Solid 2 gameplay into a game that was heavily reliant on not being able to do that. More than half of the boss fights, Revolver Ocelot being the most blaring, were basically ruined because you could literally stand still in a corner and shoot the bosses instead of being forced to move. The game had other issues like the horrible music replacement, but the gameplay was the key change that ruins it for me.

The Fixed Camera angles of the Classic Resident Evil series are such a huge part of the game, they allow for a cinematic build to terrifying situations you cant get from normal shoulder perspective. One of the most unsettling parts of resident evil is how the scenes and rooms are setup alluding to the things hiding and moaning just outside of camera, with shoulder perspective everything is instantly in plain sight unless it is tucked around a corner, and even in that case you see it as soon as you turn the corner. One of the best things about the Classic fixed camera style is the feeling of little control, its not just simply putting a crosshair over a zombies head and pulling the trigger, its guiding a character through a cinematic situation.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:04 pm

The way that I see it, the OTS camera makes it harder to fight enemies since now you actually have to TRY aiming at the enemy and can miss shots or not hit their critical points. The OTS camera still has the ability to build up tension especially when in a room filled with enemies or by having enemies sneak up from behind. I will admit that being able to see ahead of you can take away from tension if you don't know where enemies are in the room, but then again, it wasn't exactly scary because all you had to do was wait for the enemy to walk to you if you heard them in a room. I don't see this change as a deal breaker and feel bad for those that do. The demo shown already hits every other aspect of a great remake in that it's a whole new experience and not the same game with upped graphics like Ocarina of Time 3D.

RipRavage

Postby RipRavage » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but if I'm really excited to go see a baseball game I'm gonna be real disappointed when I show up and they're playing basketball or football instead regardless of how intense of a game it is or how nice the stadium looks. They remade the first Resident Evil in the veins of the original game short the hilariously bad dialogue, I don't understand why they couldn't do that with this game as well, Resident Evil 2 is the most popular game in the series and wouldn't have had any trouble selling either way. Its not all about skill, it takes lots of skill for all the maniacs that run around in Outbreak knifing lions, probably more so than it takes to aim a cross-hair at a head.

Silent Hell

Postby Silent Hell » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:42 am

That's an unfair comparison because it takes the skill of using autoaim and spamming action to shoot in the classics, whereas you actually need to aim in RE2make to hit your target. Not to mention that knives are expendable, I'd like to think there is still a level of skill required. Ultimately, the gameplay isn't a drastic change as you compared. It's not a platformer or a sports game. Yes, I'd vastly prefer the fixed camera and even accuse them of casting a wider net for an audience for the OTS change. But it's not a deal breaker for me and I find it being a deal breaker for some people strange.

What's great about REmake is that it's so different that it doesn't invalidate the original, and I'm glad RE2make is different enough that it won't invalidate RE2 either.

RipRavage

Postby RipRavage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:22 am

The last Classic style Resident Evil game to come out was Outbreak File 2 in 2004, I think most of us were really hoping they would bring back classic gameplay for that very reason. We have waited years for them to make another Classic Resident evil and the whole over the shoulder thing is basically a giant slap in the face saying that will never happen. Capcom is willing to shill out garbage like Umbrella Corps, but they can't be bothered to make a remake in the style of the old games, why not have the option to switch between views, or just make another Resident Evil 7 Expansion or sequel instead of a remake, why do they have to take away the core gameplay from The Resident Evil 2 remake.

At this point it has been so long I would love to see even another spin off with classic gameplay, but this has confirmed that Capcom wont being doing that. This is literally a nail in the coffin for the classic gameplay.

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 am

its guiding a character through a cinematic situation.
In the remake, the forest part... there is no way you can get this out of OTS or FPS.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

RipRavage

Postby RipRavage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Yeah, I don’t think anybody got the same experience playing the string of rail shooters Capcom released as soft remakes of Resident Evil 2, Nemesis, and Veronica. Camera work is very important to the series.

Return to “News”