In addition to the rules discussed here:
- Members may NOT discuss any sort of piracy or warez. This includes asking for links to copyrighted materials such as ISO or BIOS files. And no, just because you own the game already does NOT mean you are entitled to download a copy you found online. You are only allowed to play copies you yourself have made. Users breaking this rule may receive a ban without warning. obsrv.org has never supported piracy and never will. Purchase your Japanese copies of the games and dump them yourself. Members may also NOT provide links to copyrighted material to other users.
- Do NOT advertise other sites. We are not interested in whatever you are selling.
- Members may NOT flame, troll, or harass other members. Do not stir up drama. Blatantly offensive comments directed at other members will not be tolerated and may be removed. Members are free to voice their opinions and debate with each other, however there is a limit to how heated a debate can get before a moderator must step in. We also understand that friends or some users like to joke around with each other and that not everything they say is to be taken seriously. However, if a moderator asks that you stop, then STOP. If you are INTENTIONALLY harassing other members, you will be disciplined. PERIOD. Flaming in self-defense is also strictly prohibited. If someone is harassing you, report them or ignore them.
- That being said, do not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Outbreak Server Recreation Project” is hosted or International Law.
- Do NOT backseat moderate. This means, don't go calling for a moderator to ban another user. The moderators will handle a report as they see fit.
- Do NOT argue with the moderators. If we tell you to stop, STOP. If you feel that this is unfair, we can provide you with an explanation. If you think you have a reasonable case against a judgement call, you are free to PM a moderator.
- Before making a topic, do a search to see if your question or topic has already been answered/made. New threads should be posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
- Do NOT post any obscene or vulgar content on the site. This includes pornography and (real life) gore.
- Do not bump a thread over 2 weeks old if you have nothing meaningful or won't contribute to the discussion.
All of the rules above apply here as well.
- Do NOT do anything that would impede the progress of other players. This includes teamkilling, hiding key items, intentionally using healing items to prevent other players from healing, etc. This is a COOP game. The goal of the game is to survive, not to prevent others from surviving. This does not mean you can't go your own way, but don't intentionally prevent other players from winning as well.
- Do NOT use cheats of any kind that can affect gameplay. Anything that cannot be achieved through normal play is considered cheating. This includes infinite health, ammo outside of the infinity area, walk through walls, stat modifiers, etc. Players can play with cheats ONLY if the other players in the game allow it. Use of TURBO on emulators is also considered cheating and is prohibited, even during load times. It provides an unfair advantage toward other players and can cause desyncs as well as erratic enemy behavior.
- Attacking other players as a zombie is allowed. It was always an intended gameplay mechanic. However, do not INTENTIONALLY get killed just to attack other players.
Bans are performed on a case by case basis, so it is important to note that context matters and the more concrete evidence, the better. EVERY MODERATOR IS DIFFERENT. There are no set guidelines for determining ban length which is why we stress you to stop when told by a moderator. But if you get banned:
- The earliest you can appeal a ban is 4 weeks after the initial ban. Send all appeals to email@example.com
- Do NOT make new accounts to evade a ban. This goes double if your ban is only temporary. It doesn't help your case if we see you breaking the rules, and then making a new account to bypass the ban. Ban evasion can lead to a PERMANENT BAN, so if you value your privilege to play on this server, then we recommend you bite the bullet and just serve out your temporary ban.
- If you are new, be aware that games may be hosted on Very Hard difficulty. If you are up for the challenge, make sure that the other players are aware of your newbie status to prevent unnecessary drama, later.
- Listen to adlib commands from other players. If a character is telling you to wait, go, or come on, it is probably for good reason.
- Try not to take the game so seriously. Yes, the game can be stressful when something goes wrong, but there is no need to point fingers.
- If someone is trying to blame you for a bad game, or if someone is just trying to provoke you in general, laugh it off. Don't stoop to their level and throw insults at each other.
- The Shoutbox is intended for a more laid-back form of communication between forum members. That being said, the general rules of forum etiquette still apply. Still, it can also serve as a way of off-topic discussion between players. And if you prefer to just play with your friends, you can invite each other to one of your private lobbies for an exclusive game chat.
- You can reply to users faster on the shoutbox by clicking on the "@" next to their username. Hold it down to private message them.
- Use the banlist! If you don't want someone in your game, you can add them to your banlist and prevent them from joining games you host. Useful against petty cheaters who use infinite ammo hacks.
- Use the IGNORE feature on the shoutbox. If someone is trying to harass you, just click on their name on the user list to the right of the shoutbox and select IGNORE. You will no longer see posts from that user.
Remember, not every situation calls for a moderator to step in. Use the IGNORE feature and BANLIST for situations within your control.
- If the situation requires a moderator's intervention and there are none around, use the modbell and leave a detailed description of the problem. (Screencaps help) We will try to resolve the situation when we become available.