We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

PS2.NET announced

short notes for those not reading all the forums
ss4gogeta0

PS2.NET announced

Postby ss4gogeta0 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:51 am

After several months of development, we are proud to announce PS2.NET (this is NOT the domain name, btw :lol: )
PS2.NET is an attempt at a PSN unified service that involves DNS work arounds and patching.

How does it work? We release a patch for an online game. This patch bypasses DNS but also adds another layer (or wrapper). This allows for cross game chat (seriously), friend lists between unrelated games (ie. Sims Bustin Out, Burnout 3), custom fan DLC, and more. This is achieved via extensive hacking on our end that works as a unified server. To connect to us, you download the patch, patch your game, and run the game. You then run the PS2.NET program we coded to access the server, which looks like this:

Features:
- DLC
- Cross Game Chat
- Friend Lists across games
- Friend Codes

The friend codes are 10 digits and two letters. For example: 123-456-789-AB. Friend codes are done for privacy reasons rather than usernames. Currently in extremely early alpha, but in working state. Its far enough for an announcement! :)

About us:
We are a team of 14 people who are all veterans in the game industry. Several of us formally working with Insomniac Games, Sony, EA and more, we have extensive experience with platforms such as the PS2, PSP, PS3 and more. Our personal favorite console of all time, the PS2, has been shunned by Sony and we foresaw the shutdown of DNAS long ago. This is why we developed PS2.NET, a service similar to PSN. While we are only targeting PS2 right now, we want to eventually expand to include the PSP, which is also getting the same shutdown treatment by sony right now.

Everything is too early for beta access or additional screens, but THREE titles are patched and working with our service:
The Sims Bustin Out, Burnout 3, My Street.

Any comments, questions, concerns are welcome! We want to open beta access by June 1st. I don't come here often, but I can be seen over on OBSRV as camjam1995.
didnt see anything about this posted on here so I felt like I should post it to get the word out... congrats to camjam1995 :D

StuntmanSnake

Re: PS2.NET announced

Postby StuntmanSnake » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:07 am

Color me intrigued.

Would be interesting to see this service supporting Outbreak.
ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

camjam

Postby camjam » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 am

This is my teams project, but due to some bad apples over at another forum I am not ready to reveal anything else right now.
In all of a short 24 hours one of our team members actually released some of the code on said forum and now our project is compromised.

As for it supporting Outbreak, its up to the admins here. I would need the packets and code they have on their servers and I don't think they want to release it. (I don't blame them though, they don't want to fracture the community or release owned assets). But its up to them. If they ever decide its becoming too much to run OBSRV or its too expensive I wouldn't mind taking the load off. I have a very expensive server farm set up at our indie studio.
Anyways, A forth title has been added, Cold Winter.
In the words of Bunifa latifa halifa sharifa jackson...

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:57 am

As for it supporting Outbreak, its up to the admins here. I would need the packets and code they have on their servers and I don't think they want to release it. (I don't blame them though, they don't want to fracture the community or release owned assets).
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I'll have to get myself a copy of The Sims: Bustin' Out so I can give this service a try then. I remember the game being relatively fun back in the day.
ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

camjam

Postby camjam » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:54 am

As for it supporting Outbreak, its up to the admins here. I would need the packets and code they have on their servers and I don't think they want to release it. (I don't blame them though, they don't want to fracture the community or release owned assets).
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I'll have to get myself a copy of The Sims: Bustin' Out so I can give this service a try then. I remember the game being relatively fun back in the day.
Do so. :)

TS-Bustin Out was great. I used to play it all the time online back then. I'm extremely happy to be apart of the process to bring it back online. :)

Now as a general thing:
If anyone has any backed up packets, source codes, network files, etc, etc, etc, for any PS2 online game, let me know. The more games that we can support on launch, the better.

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

Silver Gray

Postby Silver Gray » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:56 am

Awesome work camjam :)

xDrHellx

Postby xDrHellx » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:58 am

"Custom fan DLC" ??
Like... extra scenarios or anything ?
Oh my god that's so AWESOME !

What an achievement though ! Nice work !

camjam

Postby camjam » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:12 am

"Custom fan DLC" ??
Like... extra scenarios or anything ?
Oh my god that's so AWESOME !

What an achievement though ! Nice work !
Essentially, by fan DLC, it would be like how Super Mario Bros 3 can have hacks injected into the rom for new levels, costumes, pallets, etc.

A better example, would be Burnout 3. Say your game is unpacked on your HDD or USB stick on your PS2 and you play that way, well, our goal is to allow downloading of hacks, skins, extra content, developed by fans for those games.

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

xDrHellx

Postby xDrHellx » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:18 am

Oh, so technically texture packs on console would be a one of these DLCs ?
That'd be really cool

camjam

Postby camjam » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:21 am

Oh, so technically texture packs on console would be a one of these DLCs ?
That'd be really cool
Thats our plan. :D

We want to make it as legit of a PSN/XBL style service as possible.

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

alinho

Postby alinho » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:56 pm

I don't think making completely new scenarios on OB is possible. It'd be a living nightmare to guess-work the game's source-code and make something based on that.
PS2 FAT HDD Player

camjam

Postby camjam » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:55 pm

I don't think making completely new scenarios on OB is possible. It'd be a living nightmare to guess-work the game's source-code and make something based on that.
Which is a shame. One day though, maybe.

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

MartinMilk

Postby MartinMilk » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:49 pm

Is it possible for me who don't have a patched PS2 to get in to this project? or is a patched PS2 required.
System: PS2 NTSC-J Slim | YouTube: Milky-Hazard | PSN: Milky-Hazard | XBLive:Milky Hazard| NNID: MartinMilk

alinho

Postby alinho » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Is it possible for me who don't have a patched PS2 to get in to this project? or is a patched PS2 required.
You have to patch the game, obviously, you'd need a modded PS2 or something to run softmods.
PS2 FAT HDD Player

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:59 pm

My, my, this is kool. I wanna see what this is about eventually.
HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

Return to “News”