We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

DNAS is offline (Update: Works for now)

short notes for those not reading all the forums
Isles487

Re: DNAS is offline (Update: Works for now)

Postby Isles487 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:33 am

For now, there is a working DNAS server. When DNAS shuts down, everyone will need some type of modified ISO to proceed. The game will not proceed without a successful DNAS check. When there is no DNAS server, it will not proceed.

MartinMilk

Postby MartinMilk » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:30 pm

For now, there is a working DNAS server. When DNAS shuts down, everyone will need some type of modified ISO to proceed. The game will not proceed without a successful DNAS check. When there is no DNAS server, it will not proceed.
any chance or way someone could get their hands on everything needed and host it themselfes? If sony don't care anymore I guess it might be possible.. right?
System: PS2 NTSC-J Slim | YouTube: Milky-Hazard | PSN: Milky-Hazard | XBLive:Milky Hazard| NNID: MartinMilk

alinho

Postby alinho » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 pm

any chance or way someone could get their hands on everything needed and host it themselfes? If sony don't care anymore I guess it might be possible.. right?
Unlikely, and even so, I believe someone would still have to patch the game for it to connect to the new DNAS hosting server.
PS2 FAT HDD Player

Mesmeric Rose

Postby Mesmeric Rose » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:34 am

I was able to successfully log into my PS2 Vanilla set up :) <---if that's even the issue haha
See, I assume that's exactly what is going to happen.
What's going to happen?

MartinMilk

Postby MartinMilk » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 am

I was able to successfully log into my PS2 Vanilla set up :) <---if that's even the issue haha
What's going to happen?
If you're a PS2 play with disc, get ready to either mod your PS2 or switch to emulator. Sadly, because the reason why some play on PS2 is because of a reason :|
System: PS2 NTSC-J Slim | YouTube: Milky-Hazard | PSN: Milky-Hazard | XBLive:Milky Hazard| NNID: MartinMilk

Mesmeric Rose

Postby Mesmeric Rose » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:35 pm

What's going to happen?
If you're a PS2 play with disc, get ready to either mod your PS2 or switch to emulator. Sadly, because the reason why some play on PS2 is because of a reason :|
Sadly I can't mod a PS2 to save my life haha last time I did I destroyed my PS2 and now it won't turn on or anything

Vedita BR

Postby Vedita BR » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:17 pm

There is no way Free MCBoot can damage hardware like that...

this can also be considered lazy or idle talk.

camjam

Postby camjam » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:34 am

Alot of us have already patched our games anyway. The well known translation patch for Biohazard Outbreak File 1/2 contains the patch already built in last I knew. This patch is the one we would all need in this case which completely bypasses DNAS, essentially eliminating the need for the security check. This is needed by default for many of us who like to install the game to HDD and play without the disc (to preserve our disc) or to mod the game with translations, fixes, costumes, etc.

Eventually vanilla users will have no choice but to patch the game. Over on the PS2 online gaming board many (Including me) finally were able to get Sony to talk about it. Some of the support staff finally asked due to heavy volume of questions regarding the issue and yes, DNAS is in the process of shutting down, but it appears there is alot of red tape to shut everything down which is why some of it is still running. Alot of Sony's services are intertwined with each other due to the poor server management. Back in 2011 when PSN was hacked and brought offline for nearly two months, they had revealed many services through Sony run through each other. I would NOT be surprised in the slightest if some of the servers (or datacenters, routers, whatever) that DNAS runs through still power active Sony services.

Also, no FreeMcBoot can NOT damage hardware. Its a temporary mod that doesn't make any changes to your internal ROM.

Once DNAS is gone for good and we start requiring the DNAS bypass to play, there should be some kind of security measure to prevent non legit owners from playing. Like, maybe, on registration for the board require the player to answer a password on registration that asks for the "PDSS" code imprinted on the back of the disc around the rim. That way only people with actual Outbreak discs will know.
In the words of Bunifa latifa halifa sharifa jackson...

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:26 am

People should keep in mind that this is a private, fan-made forum. Vanilla is barely an option. I'm surprised it was a choice for so long.

There are other methods for those who still wanna play. If people who have a vanilla PS2 and disc don't learn to adapt, then they'll be left out. Natural selection.
HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:39 am

People should keep in mind that this is a private, fan-made forum. Vanilla is barely an option. I'm surprised it was a choice for so long.

There are other methods for those who still wanna play. If people who have a vanilla PS2 and disc don't learn to adapt, then they'll be left out. Natural selection.
I strongly disagree. It's not natural selection if a service provider leaves his customers alone with a ton of dysfunctional online games. It's more like genocide and I am not willing to accept this.

It's one thing to shutdown services you don't need anymore, another if you don't want to support private servers. In my opinion there should be a law that forces publishers to make their source code and private keys public in these cases (or if there's enough interest from a community).

You can believe me when I'm saying that I will try my very best to find a way for the vanilla setup to play Outbreak forever. And I don't mean softmodding or patching. You must see this from another scope. There exist private servers for a lot of Spygame based PS2 games. Without DNAS those are forced to patch every single title in every single region for every single player. It takes some hours to find the needed patches for one game in one region. And then every player has to hop through the loops of nodding just to play a game that is a decade old or so. No, really, there must be another way.

Rise

Postby Rise » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:04 am

very well said, fog, and thank you.

leotreves

Postby leotreves » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:27 pm

I strongly disagree. It's not natural selection if a service provider leaves his customers alone with a ton of dysfunctional online games. It's more like genocide and I am not willing to accept this.

It's one thing to shutdown services you don't need anymore, another if you don't want to support private servers. In my opinion there should be a law that forces publishers to make their source code and private keys public in these cases (or if there's enough interest from a community).

You can believe me when I'm saying that I will try my very best to find a way for the vanilla setup to play Outbreak forever. And I don't mean softmodding or patching. You must see this from another scope. There exist private servers for a lot of Spygame based PS2 games. Without DNAS those are forced to patch every single title in every single region for every single player. It takes some hours to find the needed patches for one game in one region. And then every player has to hop through the loops of nodding just to play a game that is a decade old or so. No, really, there must be another way.
Well, it has always happened, and not only on PS2. People know it, specially those who are familiar with MMORPGs. We know a lot about private servers, and in some cases they are the heart of a game, since people who wanna play it the most play on those servers, instead of the original, for whatever reasons. Of course there must be other ways to make DNAS work, as I said earlier, and I believe your work and passion in coding, but It's hard to see a non-modded PS2 taking the heat.
HN: Shepard

Useful links:

Getting started? Click here
Get a memcard with everything unlocked (File1 and File2)
Installing the emulated HDD (legacy)

PCSX2 using OPL/HDD
PC: Ryzen 5800X3D/64GB/RX 6800XT
PS2: SCPH 30000 2TB
PS3: CECHE01 1TB SSD

camjam

Postby camjam » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:26 am

Actually, there is a law that states they need to provide 30 days notice, and they didn't. Unofficially, they did. Square Enix was let known of the shutdown and told square enix fans. But what about the 15ish games still using DNAS? Sony never released a public statement, so in areas where it is illegal (which It is, but I forget where, I think its state by state basis) they broke the law and broke trust with fans. Unacceptable.

This is why many online games on the back say "May retire online services after 30 days notice at (insert url here)"

Also, the DNS work around works for now. Perhaps my idea I mentioned to you about a centralized server to host all PS2 online titles with released online codes (and some LAN titles) could be useful in this case? Something like PSN, but fan driven and all you need is a net file on your card with the DNS address. I am working on The Sims Bustin Out online with a team of four others. Id gladly throw my expertise into the ring to help develop this. I don't like modern games. I am a retro gamer, and the only online games I play are on Dreamcast, PS2 and some PC games. The only modern online title I play anymore is Left 4 Dead 2.
In the words of Bunifa latifa halifa sharifa jackson...

"WHAT DID I DO?!?!"

Jake_Wade

Postby Jake_Wade » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Once DNAS is gone for good and we start requiring the DNAS bypass to play, there should be some kind of security measure to prevent non legit owners from playing. Like, maybe, on registration for the board require the player to answer a password on registration that asks for the "PDSS" code imprinted on the back of the disc around the rim. That way only people with actual Outbreak discs will know.
WTF? LOL!!! Are you joking? If that happened then this server would become dead.Also this game is more than 10 years old and trust me even Capcom does not give a shit about it anymore so no need to take this so seriously.This would be a totally useless and harmful effort for a low populated revived server

How to play Resident Evil Outbreak Online using PCSX2 emulator:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1939

xDrHellx

Postby xDrHellx » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:59 pm

You do realize that most people here plays with either Emulator or HDD right ?
That's a stupid idea, especially when everyone plays on an "unofficial" server.

Return to “News”