We have moved to a new IP! Please head to the IP Switch wiki page for a quick guide on how to connect again.

New Chatbox

short notes for those not reading all the forums
the_fog

Re: New Chatbox

Postby the_fog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:30 pm

It's not so easy for everyone to find. For example, I have to press on the icon in the top left in order to get a dropdown list that shows it. Not everyone would know there is a chatbox, yet alone pressing this icon for any reason.
This is only the case when the forum is shown on very small displays. On desktop view you get this one:
sb.png
sb.png (64.99 KiB) Viewed 31511 times

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:51 pm

It's not so easy for everyone to find. For example, I have to press on the icon in the top left in order to get a dropdown list that shows it. Not everyone would know there is a chatbox, yet alone pressing this icon for any reason.
This is only the case when the forum is shown on very small displays. On desktop view you get this one:
sb.png
Yeah, that's true. I just wonder how many are actually on desktop, though. I already know leotreves and I are mainly mobile. Also, I notice you have an "ACP" tab. I assume this is an Admin Control Panel? :eek:
ID: MODDER | HN: StuntmanSnake | CHARACTER: RANDOM

alinho

Postby alinho » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Would just like to point out a glitch:
The chat doesn't work with prosilver (the default theme).
Maybe it'd be better making obsrv the default theme?
PS2 FAT HDD Player

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:26 pm

It is already the default theme

alinho

Postby alinho » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:44 pm

It is already the default theme
Oh, didn't notice you changed it. Could swear prosilver was the default one some days ago.
PS2 FAT HDD Player

skywide

Postby skywide » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:04 am

sb.png

i'm afraid that not everyone will notice the "chat" and many people may think shoutbox is gone forever.
i think you may make "chat" red or bigger to remind everyone of this.

GK1294

Postby GK1294 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:15 pm

i'm afraid that not everyone will notice the "chat" and many people may think shoutbox is gone forever.
i think you may make "chat" red or bigger to remind everyone of this.
Do you think a link under the forum pages would help people realize it's there? I do agree with you that the site has a lot of functions people don't usually know exist when they don't frequent it (previously the wiki, for example), but I thought a sub-forum for them would be more proper than highlighting it more on the quick links tab (where people are likely to find it). I'm sure there are other functions that aren't on quick links tab which could find their way there because I remember a link to user statistics from a few months ago.
HN: GreenKnight
ID: S1DY4F
HN: Peelzman
ID: FVD50A

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:57 pm

I don't see any harm in having the chatbox both on the front page and as it's own page. It almost feels like the chatbox is disconnected from the main site now and it feels a little weird, almost like we are all meeting in a chatzy room or something.

It's ultimately not my call, and I can understand if fog wants the front page to be as simplistic as possisble. It just worries me that newcomers will completely overlook the location of the chatbox and misconceive obsrv as a ghost town.

Kai Hiwatarii

Postby Kai Hiwatarii » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Massive congrats to Alino who has done us all a service :D!

Also I was wondering is it possible to merge the chatbox on this site so it would display in game? (Replacing the annoying in game chatrooms :/) That would be truely epic!
RE: OUTBREAK LIVE STREAM; http://www.twitch.tv/kai_hiwatarii

Wonchsmonk

Postby Wonchsmonk » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:36 pm

It feels so disconnected from the site now. I feel like a lot of newcomers or people just in general wont be inclined to go to the chatbox. As someone who has been on this site for a year, it took me a bit to find it. Idk, i just dont really think its a good idea to keep it separate. Is there a way to have it both on the site and able to be in a separate window? I think accessibility is important, and with an obscure outdated (but fantastic) game with few people playing, accessibility is important.

But regardless, the new layout is amazing and the hard work that everyone puts into this is more than enough! Thanks guys, thank you so much. I cant express how awesome it is.
[align=center]HN: Wonchie
Primary: PCSX2 1.1.0.5730 Secondary: Fat ps2 with HDloader
File #1 and File #2: Silent Hell/REFan988's patch

Image Image[/align]

the_fog

Postby the_fog » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Massive congrats to Alino who has done us all a service :D!

Also I was wondering is it possible to merge the chatbox on this site so it would display in game? (Replacing the annoying in game chatrooms :/) That would be truely epic!
I plan to have the ingame lobbys and the pregame-chatrooms accessible in Alinho's chatbox. I ran tests with my own chatscripts some weeks (or months??) ago, it's possible in theorie and practise. I'm just f+*#ing busy atm to integrate that stuff :~

Well, we can have the chatbox on index and separately. I'll activate that function, let's see if it works out.

Herbivore

Postby Herbivore » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:57 am

I liked that there was a small IQ test for people to find the chatbox. But I'm happy there even is one.
-Vote Joel Clemens for City Council

"What a weird Customer... what are you doing?!" - Will, Bartender / Cook at J's Bar, In memorial

StuntmanSnake

Postby StuntmanSnake » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:11 am

I really appreciate you taking our feedback into consideration, fog. So far I've already noticed some people thinking that the shoutbox came back for the first time and others who were happy it returned to the index page. :)

Return to “News”